Join the newest successful Formula One team! At Haas F1 Team, we are looking to grow our team and have an exciting position available in our Engineering department. This is an opportunity for experienced and team-oriented individuals to make a substantial impact within a small, fast-paced team.
We are a young, dynamic, and expanding team that is building an open, discursive environment full of opportunities for motivated individuals pursing a challenge. Haas F1 Team is designed to allow the best and brightest talent to excel within the premier form of racing in the world. The team debuted in the FIA Formula One World Championship in 2016, becoming the first American-led Formula One team since 1986. Founded by industrialist Gene Haas, the team is based in Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA, with team operations in Banbury, UK and Parma, Italy. Now in our fourth season, we have proven to be competitive with our uniquely-designed team that has quickly demonstrated a desire to win!
This position reports to the Director of Engineering; is located in Banbury, UK. The predominantly factory-based role will provide support for trackside events including all FIA Formula 1 championship races and some test events.
The successful candidate will assist in pre-event preparation, factory support during events and post-event analysis and reporting. Outside of events, the candidate will look to improve existing tools and be encouraged to help in the development and direction of the Strategy group.
Self-motivated, team player, with clear communication and strong analytical skills, the role requires the ability to work to tight deadlines and make quick, data-driven decisions, often under pressure. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual to thrive in this challenging, yet highly rewarding role.
- Support of trackside events, including all FIA Formula 1 Championship races, from the Factory Race Support Room.
- Pre-event simulations and reports, in-event support and post-race analysis.
- Competitor Analysis both during a race weekend and between events, aiding and assisting other departments if applicable.
- Numerical and Statistical analysis of data.
- Development of the existing tools used in strategy operations and procedures.
- Researching and implementing new analysis, methodologies, software tools and techniques for future developments.
- Assisting with pitstop analysis (both competitor and team), analysing data and provide concise feedback to the pit crew.
- Take ownership of the Race Strategy systems, making sure they are set-up and running correctly and troubleshooting any issues that may occur.
Education, skills and experience required:
- A degree in a relevant Engineering discipline, Mathematics or Physics.
- Experience of data analysis, numerical and statistical methodologies and their applications.
- Strong problem solving, logical thinking with research and reporting skills are essential.
- At least 2 years’ experience within a Formula 1/high-level motorsport environment, ideally with previous strategy experience.
- Python, VBA and MATLAB programming.
The following would be an advantage:
- C# programming.
- Experience with databases, both in creation and management.
- Other programming languages to aid in the development of live and/or interactive tools.
- Experience of data analysis preferably using MAT ATLAS.
- Technical experience of Formula 1 Race Strategy.
- Strong understanding of vehicle & tyre performance.
Work Environment Physical Demands:
An ability to work and prioritise within a high pressure, time-sensitive environment while retaining a methodical approach is essential. The role may require extensive international travel and a willingness to work long and flexible hours including weekends.
This position may require lifting to 50 pounds, repeated bending, squatting and manual dexterity. Fast-paced work environment requiring heavy mental demands. Work environment includes machinery, race cars, 7-post and other rigs, grinding debris, and hazardous fluids. All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.