Position Summary: The Design Engineer is responsible for the design and development of new products as well as administrative direction of both new projects and existing product lines.
Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm
Roles & Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned):
- Designs performance automotive aftermarket parts, to include, but not limited to: air filters, intake systems, exhaust systems, intercoolers, manifolds, turbochargers, throttle body spacers, differential/transmission covers, suspension, etc.
- Initiates updated designs to existing products (known as “VIP” or Value Improvement Projects).
- Takes measurements of existing parts to use in the design of new/modified products using standard measuring tools (such as calipers) and computer aided tools (including digital laser scanners).
- Designs prototypes of new products with the use of state-of-the-art equipment (3D Printing, etc.)
- Verifies design parameters including accuracy, suitability and costs.
- Oversees test fit activities for prototype components and works closely with project teams to meet deadlines.
- Interprets and documents data and results from performance testing.
- Processes documentation, including BOM’s, test reports; drafts verbiage for instruction sheets, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Advanced knowledge of automotive mechanics and design elements highly preferred.
- Ability to draft and present high level automotive component designs, read and interpret drawings and communicate design requirements.
- Superior communication skills, written and verbal.
- Knowledge of materials and manufacturing processes for automotive components with relation to design.
- Proficient in SolidWorks and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Familiarity with ERP systems and databases for manufacturing, desirable.
- Ability to work independently, collaborate with project teams to completion, and communicate status of assignments as required.
Education and Experience:
- BSME (BS Mechanical Engineering) with five (5)+ years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1 – 3 years’ project management experience, desirable.
Physical Environment and Working Conditions: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, hear and speak. The employee is required to use fingers, hands and arms to operate computers, talk on the telephone, and may occasionally be required to reach, pull and push with hands and arms, stoop, squat or kneel. Specific vision requirements include close to moderate distance vision for computer use, and depth perception. The employee may be required to move or lift between 10 – 40 pounds during the course of the job.