About The Role
At Formula 1 our vision is to unleash the greatest racing spectacle on the planet.
Our key to success is an organisation that values passion, integrity, and respect. To help deliver against this global vision we are seeking an Engineer to join the CCR (Circuit Communication Ring) team responsible for the fibre optic network at all F1 events.
Your work will be split between the Event Technical Centre at the race circuits, and our Media & Technical Centre in Biggin Hill. Whilst working at the events you will work as part of a team required to commission and maintain the CCR fibre optic network and its related equipment for the transfer of video/data/audio/comms during an event. When supporting events from the UK you will configure systems, monitor the incoming data, video and audio during testing and live sessions, working to the time-zone of the host country.
Optically testing, inspecting and commissioning the CCR fibre optic ring at F1 events using optical test equipment and end-face cleaning procedures
Configure and support the CCR transmission system to transport and multiplex client video, Ethernet and optical signals for the broadcast as well as track side systems
First hand support for track side systems including: Track cameras, FIA marshalling, Telemetry, data acquisition and timing as well as paddock systems and F1 team integration
Project design, implementation and documentation to the highest standards providing reliable and resilient technical solutions
Support and liaise with other departments/customers, to fault-find problems or provide solutions to requests as they arise
Take ownership of business areas and operational relationships to act as a point of contact for technical advice, fault reporting and repair feedback
Collaboration with stakeholders to create and maximise efficiencies and optimised technical solutions whilst utilising existing available resources
Required to ensure the upkeep of equipment list/manifests and liaise with freight department
Confident in ordering equipment and consumables required by CCR and liaising with suppliers for equipment repair and servicing
Undertaking race event preparatory work and be able to liaise with F1 departments to ensure CCR race planning is completed in adequate time
- Work with line manager to continually explore the most effective and efficient way of maintaining and managing all technical systems
For full job description, please refer to Additional information.
You’re self-driven, curious, hardworking and you thrive in a team. You are analytical, a good communicator and remain calm under pressure. You enjoy both the theoretical side of engineering as well as being hands on and getting stuck in. You enjoy frequent travel and would relish the opportunity to work long but rewarding hours at F1 racing circuits around the world.
- A degree in broadcasting/telecommunication engineering discipline with actual experience in technical broadcasting/communication systems
- Experience working within a Broadcasting environment as a Network Engineer or Broadcast Engineer with excellent network knowledge
- Experienced in TCP/IP Ethernet networks and configuring switches on a LAN network
- Proven experience and understanding of technical wiring diagrams.
- Experience of logging and managing incidents in an operational environment
- Knowledge of fibre optical technologies including the testing, servicing and termination of single/multimode fibre using a variety of connectors. This includes OTDR testing, fusion splicing, fibre termination and installation of fibre optic cable
- Practical experience and competency in using AutoCAD software
- Previous experience in a systems broadcasting technical role
- Competence in use of Network monitoring software, a CCNA network certificate or similar and CLI experience would be beneficial for this role
As a united team we achieve great things together. Are you ready to unleash your potential at F1?