Gordon Murray Design is a world-leading automotive design company, we have gained a global reputation as a pioneer of lightweight and efficient vehicles, taking a highly innovative approach to all aspects of vehicle design, development and production. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Principal Engineer – Structures to join our Design, Development and Engineering Centre based in Shalford, Surrey.
- Reporting to the Chief Engineer – Vehicle Engineering & Simulation, you will be responsible for leading the chassis design team
- Responsibility for leading and developing vehicle structures and a team of design engineers to deliver structural chassis solutions.
- You will be required to keep up to date with latest technologies in the industry and drive the company and direction to ensure GMD is world class in this sector.
- You will be required to build up the chassis team, develop the team’s skills, tools and knowledge base and personal development. Part of the role with involve the mentoring and continual development of the structures team
- You will be expected to help and support the design activities with concept scheming using CATIA.
- Liaise with the head of design and project management to ensure technical targets, program timings and budgetary requirements are met
- Ensure designs meet with all relevant regulatory requirements
- Conduct meeting with suppliers and technical partners
- Conduct design reviews and promote communication between all areas of the business
- Supervise any contract staff and ensure they work effectively and in a timely manner
Experience and Qualifications:
- The candidate should be degree qualified with preferably a degree in mechanical engineering or Aerospace
- Experience in motorsport and sport cars is essential
- Good knowledge of materials, load paths, strength and stiffness limited designs and fatigue is essential.
- Ideally skilled in working with CATIA V5 and using Excel
- Capable of carrying out hand calculations for components and correct material choices
- Have experience of vehicle Packaging, suspension, electrical and powertrain components and systems with respect to chassis design.
- Aluminium chassis frame design experience would be an advantage.
- Have a good working knowledge and design experience of composite structures and materials.
- Have a good understanding and knowledge of crash regulations, testing and impact structures.
- Understanding of bush design for NVH, ride and handling would be an advantage
- Thorough understanding of FEA would be an advantage
Please send an up-to-date CV, including details of your current salary and a cover letter