The McLaren name is synonymous with motorsport. The story across five decades of racing at the pinnacle of global motorsport is of restless technical development with characters of passion and true grit, all with a single-minded determination to succeed. The trophy cabinet at McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) tells a thousand stories of world champions, great drivers, constructor titles and of all those individuals who have stood on the sport’s global stage to make their invaluable contribution in making that difference: that extra thousandth of second off a lap time.
With a backdrop of continued growth and success, McLaren Automotive is now consolidating its motorsport strategy with specific aims; enriching the customer’s experience on and off track, broadening the McLaren brand appeal to a wider global audience and delivering motorsport experiences that are best in class.
As we begin this exciting journey we are looking for a Senior Chassis Design Engineer to join our Motorsport Engineering function and help deliver our future championship winning GT cars.
Purpose of the role:
The Senior Chassis Design Engineer will be responsible for supporting the definition, development and validation of all Chassis-design aspects (Complete-wheel, Suspensions, Steering, Dampers, Brakes, Active aero Mechanism) of McLaren Motorsport vehicles against programme targets.
You will also be responsible for contributing to help defining the strategic planning and delivery strategy within the department whilst also keeping a clear information flow to the main automotive business regarding transferrable technology.
- Support programs for Chassis-Design from functional specification to programme sign-off, meeting programme attributes, timing and targets
- Utilisation of proper combination of design / calculation / test results & feedbacks, to meet programme targets for chassis-design requirements
- Maintenance and reporting on designed-parts for both the full vehicle and sub-systems by overseeing all internal and external design activities
- Define attribute DVP and work in continual collaboration with Vehicle Development and the Vehicle Validation Coordinator to plan and ensure delivery of DVP activities
- Support with the continual development of the Chassis Vehicle Technologies car-models and design/testing methodologies to reduce design-time, improve overall quality, reduce weight, optimize costs together with supporting and increasing the level of cross-function/attribute integration
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Extensive OEM experience in automotive industry, together with proven experience in GT and/or formula racing-cars chassis & components design
- Excellent CATIA V5 2D/3D skills and knowledge of CAD tools in general
- Mechanical / Automotive Engineering degree, with excellent knowledge and understanding in vehicle-design
- Analysis & design of chassis and sub-systems (Complete-wheel, Suspensions, Steering, Dampers, Brakes, Active aero Mechanisms), supported by full understanding and knowledge of un-sprung assy & kinematic systems and their behavior
- DFM (Design for Manufacture) skills
- Materials knowledge & selection and understanding of stress-analysis
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate within a team environment (team spirit) are vital requirements to succeed in this role
- Creativity and ability to develop ideas from first principle together with independency and intrinsically self-motivation
- Quantitative rigor and an inquisitive outlook to prove design solutions
- Strong verbal and written and oral presentation skills together with ability to communicate at all levels
- Delivery focused, with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery
We recognise that we can only achieve our vision with the dedication and collaboration of our world class employees. It is our aim to become the employer of choice within the global automotive industry.
At McLaren Automotive we are constantly looking to improve. To become the employer of choice we are always looking to develop our employee offerings. We currently offer a range of benefits to employees at all levels of the business including Private Healthcare, Contributory Pension Scheme, Life Assurance and Personal Lease Car Scheme. We also offer a range of discounts with our partner organisations.