Directly responsible for the production of precision carbon composite parts according to design specifications and to provide for the quality control of parts produced.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing the necessary carbon fiber parts for the race car for each race and test event by collaborating with the Group Leader and Engineers to meet design specifications and achieve desired results.
- Interpreting engineered blue prints and selecting the materials and production process necessary to achieve the intended purpose of the precision part assigned.
- Openly communicating with engineers to develop and continuously improve functional and quality carbon fiber components.
- Ensuring all carbon fiber components of the race car are safely joined, affixed or otherwise secured by durable adhesive substances and other appropriate bonding agents.
- Modifying precision carbon fiber parts by using manual machinery including calipers, die grinders, drills, sanders, air saws and rivet guns to ensure product exactly fits set-up and design specifications.
- Measuring and mixing solvents and chemicals to create epoxy resin, providing for effective adhesives for the bagging process.
- Accurately applying vacuum system in the bagging process to secure carbon elements and produce a smooth, durable finish.
- Programming, setting the cycles and cleaning the oven to achieve desirable environment for carbon heating.
- Visually inspecting the quality of the finished product and measuring all angles to exactly fit design specifications.
- Meeting all specified deadlines for race car preparation while producing a quality product.
- Ordering and stocking all carbon, glue, chemicals, solvents, resin and bagging necessary to properly build and manufacture carbon fiber parts.
- Operating machinery according to recommended safety specifications, including use of all protective equipment necessary (protective eyewear, masks, earplugs, etc) while identifying any safety hazards and reporting all risks immediately to a supervisor.
- Safekeeping and proper use of all company property issued during employment, including uniforms, tools, toolboxes, electronic devices, credit cards and any other productivity tools.
- Professionally represent the team and its sponsors on and off premises. Treating sponsors and their guests with respect by acknowledging them and appropriately answering their questions during shop tours.
- Keeping work area clean and organized at all times.
- Provide assistance to other team members on other duties as appropriate.
- 2-3 years of work-related experience as carbon fiber technician, preferably in automotive or aerospace industry.
- High school diploma or equivalent and basic reading, writing, and advanced mathematics skills necessary.
- Manual experience using all of the following: calipers, die grinder, drill, sander, air saw and rivet gun.
- Basic knowledge of solvents and chemicals that form epoxy resins and other bonding agents and the surface finishes which they are best suited for.
- Proficiency in using precision measuring devices and ability to read and interpret blueprints.
- Work environment contains hazardous chemicals and fumes. Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of emergency safety procedures and use safety equipment correctly.
- Manual dexterity and good eyesight required to perform essential job functions.
- Must be able to concentrate on detailed work for long periods of time and perform moderate to heavy lifting.