MoneyGram Haas F1 Team is unique – on and off the track. We don’t follow the status quo and we’ve made a name for ourselves as the team who does things differently. You might’ve seen us on Netflix, heard of our passionate Team Principal Guenther Steiner, or know that we’re the only American-owned team on the Formula 1 grid, but we’re also more than that.
We have three HQs – Kannapolis in the US, Banbury in the UK and Maranello in Italy – each staffed by passionate, loyal and hardworking advocates. At Haas, you’ll be involved in many different areas of the team, an assortment of projects and plenty of hands-on experience while collaborating with some of the best minds in the world.
Yes, you’ll learn from us, but we expect to learn from you too!
This role will report to the Head of Control Systems and Electronics or their designee; is located in Banbury UK. Responsible for leading the configuration and development of on car control systems at race and test events, overseeing the two control systems engineers assigned to each race car. Ultimately responsible for ensuring control systems on both cars are configured correctly and optimized within the FIA set guidelines. Working with control systems engineers, race engineers and drivers on improvements and tuning of the systems and tools to the drivers and teams requirements.
- Responsible for the overall performance of the department, ensuring targets and milestones are achieved.
- Manage department personnel from recruitment, onboarding, employee engagement through to separation.
- Mentor, train and guide personnel as required. Develop staff using effective performance reviews and development plans.
- Promote teamwork and effective communications to develop trustworthy relationships between all personnel and departments.
- Responsible for establishing and adhering to departmental budgets to maintain a practical yet functional department.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head of Controls Systems and Electronics or their designee.
Lead and manage the following control system activities:
- All aspects of starts from practice procedures through to burnouts.
- The clutch through race weekend, working with the control engineers and race engineers on the procedures on bite points and scrubs.
- The monitoring of control systems during garage fire-ups and during track running.
- The creation of tools for the management of sensor calibration and zeroing for systems engineers.
- The creation of tools for the management of diff, torque map, and brake by wire settings for performance engineers.
- The creation of tools for diff settings on to existing Atlas data.
- The creation of logging tables and CAN configurations in conjunction with the systems engineers.
- Liaison with Ferrari electronics, ERS, and engine engineers on all aspects of the car systems for both cars.
- Problem solving and troubleshooting on all on-car electronics and calibration problems, utilizing in-depth knowledge and understanding of SECU code
- Ensuring that the control systems on both cars are set-up and working within the FIA guidelines, whilst developing and managing the embedded code for on-car systems.
- The sending of DTV files to the FIA before the start of Qualifying, compare DTV files between cars to ensure there are no errors.
- Production of combined reports covering both cars after each event highlighting faults/issues and observations.
- Following and enforcing health and safety regulations at all venues.
Education and Work Experience:
- Degree or equivalent in control systems engineering.
- Previous experience of working with control systems in Formula One is essential.
- Previous experience developing embedded code for the SECU is highly desirable.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability to supervise others, communicate effectively, and liaise with fellow workers to get desired results.
- Capable of working in a team environment to a very high standard and a positive work attitude.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Strong technical background in racing car control systems.
- Work to a consistently high standard in stressful and time sensitive situations.
- Quick decision-making skills whilst working through problems in a scientific and analytical way.
- Work well within a team environment with personnel at all levels.
- A sympathetic approach to your work colleagues and an ability to integrate within a group environment.
- A can-do positive approach and a willingness to help others is essential.
Equipment and Applications:
- Solid computer knowledge, preferred experience in Microsoft Office products and Microsoft Dynamics AX, Visual basic, C++ and simulink.
Work Environment Physical Demands:
An ability to work and prioritize within a high pressure, time sensitive environment while retaining a methodical approach is essential. The role may require extensive international travel and a willingness to work long and flexible hours including weekends.
This position may require lifting to 50 pounds, repeated bending, squatting and manual dexterity. Fast- paced work environment requiring heavy mental demands. Work environment includes machinery, race cars, 7-post and other rigs, grinding debris, and hazardous fluids. All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.
This job description may not detail some less major duties, nor cover duties of a similar nature, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.
At MoneyGram Haas F1 Team, we consider our employees our greatest asset. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive and grow. We value diversity and encourage our employees to bring their unique perspectives and experiences to the conversation. Diversity, Equality, and Inclusion are fundamental to who we are as a company and a collective of colleagues. Our commitment to these ethics is steadfast and this promise travels with us wherever we are in the world.
We look after our team with multiple rewards packages, competitive bonuses and year-round health and wellbeing programs, providing you with the tools to motivate and perform at your best.
If you’re passionate about competition, technology and teamwork, then working at MoneyGram Haas F1 Team could be the perfect fit for you. Motorsport is a dynamic and exciting industry that offers a wide range of opportunities for those who are willing to put in the hard work and dedication required to succeed. Working at MoneyGram Haas F1 Team is a highly rewarding experience, as you become a crucial member of a team that is constantly pushing the boundaries of what’s possible and striving for excellence in everything we do.
Join our team and make your passion your profession.
Due to the nature of the organisation, all employees of MoneyGram Haas F1 Team are required to be security cleared to National Security Vetting standards. If successful in your application, we would support you with the NSV process. As a guideline only, you would normally need to have been a UK resident for the last 5 consecutive years. Further confirmation can be found on the Civil Aviation Authority National Security Vetting (NSV) website https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-industry/Security/Vetting/National-security-vetting/
If you have not been a UK resident for the last 5 consecutive years, please be prepared to request an Overseas Criminal Records Check for these countries as you will be asked to provide this for referencing and security checks if you are successful.