For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
Red Bull Powertrains have several exciting opportunities to be a key part of our expanding Power Unit engineering team. Our open, dynamic environment ensures that everyone can make a valuable contribution and we are looking for a creative Materials Engineer (Electronics) focussed on Cell Technology and Electronic Devices to help deliver World Championship winning Power Units year on year.
Working from our Milton Keynes factory you will be integrated within the Material and Battery Engineering Group of Red Bull Powertrains. This Materials Engineer (Electronics) role will support the ERS and ESS areas of the Powertrain working closely with other areas of the business including Design, Quality, Purchasing and Performance to deliver a race and championship winning Power Unit. With the opportunity to be involved in multiple areas of the ERS and ESS, a broad experience across different fields of Materials Engineering such as Cell Chemistry, Electronic devices, Metallic, Polymeric and Elastomeric materials is advantageous as well as knowledge of material processing, manufacturing methods, and failure investigation of electronic components.
To fulfil this Materials Engineer (Electronics) position you will need:
- A Materials Science or Materials Engineering degree or equivalent qualification in the area of cell technology or electronic devices.
- In depth knowledge of F1 hybrid power unit materials is advantageous but involvement in high-performance R&D projects and experience of short lead time projects is a pre-requisite.
- Excellent understanding of the failure mechanisms of cells and electronic devices.
- Methodical approach to problem solving.
- Technical report writing including ability to draw conclusions and make decisions.
- Experience of materials processing requirements with the ability to write appropriate control specifications and audit suppliers.
- Ability to communicate effectively across different areas of the business.
- Practical hands-on approach with ability to self-manage workload and priorities when necessary.
- Ability to generate innovative materials solutions that deliver benefits to the Power Unit.
Expected skills for this Materials Engineer (Electronics) position:
- Ability to prepare components or material samples for examination
- Knowledge of the operation of standard equipment for component investigation.
- Experience of material property testing and interpretation of the results
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as individually
- Ability to build and develop the processes, skills and capabilities of the department
Key Attributes for this Materials Engineer (Electronics) role:
- Proven ability to inspire and motivate the Engineers around you to succeed.
- Can-do attitude and willingness to learn new skills is essential.
- Evidenced experience of complex decision making and strategic thinking when faced with imperfect data and challenging timelines.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to foster strong cross-departmental relationships.
- The ability to be receptive and responsive to ideas and suggestions from other engineers and colleagues.
Not only is this a fantastic Materials Engineer (Electronics) role, it is also a fantastic team to work for. A good salary is just the start, there are many other benefits too such as our bonus scheme, private health care cover, life assurance scheme, workplace nursery, company contributed pension scheme, on site gym & fitness classes, free food & cycle to work scheme.
Sun, 18 Dec 2022