Williams is one of the world’s leading Formula 1 teams. It exists purely to race in the top echelon of motor racing, where it has been winning Grands Prix for more than three decades. The Williams name has been synonymous with top-level motorsport since the 1960s.
Formula 1 racing car performance is underpinned by large amounts of data collected from 100’s of sensors on the vehicle in real time. Analysis of this data is vital to understanding our on-track performance and how it can be improved.
Williams are looking for a data scientist to assist with the augmentation and validation of this data which is used to feed downstream analytical models.
You will be a member of a small team of people responsible for designing, developing, and maintain a set of software tools that augments and validates the stream of data received from our race car. You will provide factory-based support to the race team, feeding back data during an event in order to ensure we get the most out of our race car.
The tasks required will be: -
• Ownership of the data processing workflows that occur as live data is received from the circuit.
• Generation and maintenance of Simulink based models that augment the received data.
• Implementation of processes to allow the validation of individual data channels, ensuring they accurate and any anomalies are detected and corrected.
• Liaising with stakeholders throughout business to ensure the data flow meets users requirements
• Enhance and support existing systems.
The role will be suitable for an applicant with a software engineering background with an affinity for data science.
The methodology used to validate the data stream is varied but may make use of software modelling techniques or machine learning algorithms. Some understanding of the initial data source is required so knowledge of simple mechanical systems, and sensor technology would be a benefit.
Communication is vital part of this role. You must have the ability to communicate with both the upstream teams who are generating the raw data, and the downstream users of the processed data, passing on and resolving issues as they arise.
The successful applicant will be degree qualified in a relevant subject.
Experience with some of the following technologies would be highly beneficial:
• High level programming languages (Python, C++, C#)
• Mathworks products (Matlab, Simulink, Stateflow)
• Machine learning algorithms
What can Williams offer?
The Williams Group is based in Grove, Oxfordshire. We offer free onsite parking and large open green spaces to unwind during breaks. We are a short 5 minutes’ from Wantage, our closest town centre. We have an on-site gym which is free to use for all staff and contractors. We also have a subsidised restaurant on site. Please scroll down the page to review our benefits suite below.
Application closing date:
All applications must be received by 3rd December 2021