Formula 2 Performance Engineer
Full time travelling role
Salary depending on experience
Hitech Grand Prix is widely regarded within the motorsport community as one of the world’s best single-seater teams, with a proven track record at every step on the road to Formula 1.
Since our inception in 2015, we have achieved success in FIA Formula 2, FIA Formula 3, GB3, Formula 4 (British and UAE) and were selected by motorsport’s international governing body to operate the cars in the F4 category of the inaugural FIA Motorsport Games.
At the heart of our mission is a commitment to nurturing the next generation of young drivers as they graduate from karting, progress through the single-seater pyramid, and catch the eye of teams competing at the highest echelon of the sport, Formula 1.
Building on the success of our racing operation, in 2017 we established Hitech Technologies, which applies technology and insights for the benefit of OEMs and customer teams, particularly through a range of R&D services.
At our modern facility adjacent to Silverstone Circuit, the home of British motor racing, we’ve invested in creating a dynamic environment and shaping a winning culture for our people and our partners, all of whom share our ambitions, vision and values. Hitech Grand Prix is committed to helping accelerate diversity, inclusion and sustainability in motorsport.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced Performance Engineer to join our Formula 2 team. The successful candidate will play a key role in developing and optimizing the performance of our Formula 2 car. This includes a wide range of tasks, such as:
- Develop and implement strategies to improve the performance of the Formula 2 car
- Analyse race data to identify areas for improvement
- Develop and maintain performance models
- Work closely with other engineers to optimize car setup
- Attend and manage simulator (DIL) session as required
- Support the race team at track events
- Working closely and reporting to Chief Engineer
The essential skills for a Formula 2 Performance Engineer can be broadly categorized into technical expertise, soft skills, and motorsport-specific knowledge.
Essential Technical Expertise:
- Vehicle Dynamics - A thorough understanding of vehicle dynamics principles, including tire mechanics, aerodynamics, and handling characteristics, is crucial for optimizing the car's performance.
- Data Analysis - Proficiency in analysing large datasets of telemetry data to identify patterns, trends, and anomalies is essential for extracting valuable insights and making informed performance decisions.
- Performance Modelling - The ability to develop and utilise performance models to simulate the car's behaviour under various conditions is critical for predicting and optimising performance.
- Engineering Software - Familiarity with engineering software tools, such as MATLAB, Simulink, is necessary for analysing data, developing models, and designing car setups.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python, C#, C++ required
Essential Motorsport-Specific Knowledge:
- Formula 2 Regulations - A thorough understanding of the technical regulations governing Formula 2 is crucial for ensuring the car complies with the rules and maximizing performance within the constraints.
- Tire Management - Expertise in tire management strategies, including tire wear, temperature, and pressure optimization, is essential for maximizing tire performance and race strategy.
- Race Strategy - Understanding race strategy concepts, such as pit stop timing, and overtaking tactics, is important for supporting the race engineer and making informed strategic decisions.
- Motorsport Experience - Prior experience in motorsport, particularly in Formula 2 or other high-level racing series, provides valuable insights into the unique challenges and requirements of motorsport engineering.
Essential Skills, Education or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a performance engineering role in motorsport
- Experience with Formula 2 or other high-level motorsport series is preferred
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines
- Must have the right to work in the UK
- Competitive salary
- Pension scheme
- Opportunity to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment
- Medical and Dental private care
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Host of retail benefits that suit your needs
Due to the large number of applications we receive, it is not always possible to respond to every candidate straight away. Should your skills and experience be a match for this role, or any other vacancy we may have, we will normally contact you within two week of receiving your application.
Should you be successful for an interview, you will receive an email with us alongside our interview availability for you to select.
Strictly No Agencies