For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
We’re looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Design Engineer to join Red Bull Powertrains in the Test Design Engineering team. The Test Design Engineering team design and deliver state of the art equipment that enables the validation of all elements of the powertrain, covering everything from single components to full power unit.
Responsibilities in this Design Engineer – Test Design Engineering
- Design, implement and maintain rig and dynos to validate performance and durability of Unit Under Test (UUT’s), including complete Powertrain assemblies, PU's, Gearboxes, subsystems and single components. You’ll also provide design support from assembly to integration into the test facility taking ownership of each Project
- Accurately estimate activity timescales and provide regular progress reports.
- Liaising with & managing suppliers to deliver dedicated engineering solutions
- Verify hardware and rig setup requirements with relevant stakeholders
Experience and Skills required for this Design Engineer - Test and Validation:
- You will have relevant design experience in the field of state-of-the-art component, engine and / or powertrain testing, ideally with top class racing background
- Bachelor and/or Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering (or related field) and a wide range of mechanical and systems design engineering experience, preferably with practical experience from working within similar fields of engineering
- A solid understanding of manufacturing techniques, materials and processes along with influencing design factors such as lead times.
- Proficiency in all aspects of 3D CAD (Siemens NX) including part, assembly, manufacturing drawing generation and the application of GD&T to BS8888.
- Dynamic and driven with a desire to learn new techniques and understand new technologies.
Not only is this a fantastic Design Engineer role, but it is also a fantastic team to work with. A good salary is just the start, there are many other benefits too such as our bonus scheme, private health care cover, life assurance scheme, workplace nursery, company contributed pension scheme, on site gym & fitness classes, free food, and a cycle to work scheme; but above all, the job satisfaction doesn’t get any better than the feeling of making a real contribution to the function of our grand prix cars.
Mon, 18 Dec 2023