No restraints. No limitations. We don’t simply push boundaries. We completely rethink them. McLaren Automotive exists to create breath-taking performance road cars.
It takes a community to do what we do. A diverse group of people with many areas of expertise, united by their passion to deliver visionary products and set new benchmarks.
McLaren Automotive commits to equal opportunity for all. Diversity, Equality and Inclusion is at the heart of our impact, it drives our innovation and enables us to truly create something special. Join us on our journey.
Purpose of Role
The role is a Senior Engineer within Advanced Engineering, specifically in the Virtual Engineering sub-team. The sub-team has a focus on the use and development of virtual engineering methods for proof of concept/prototype work within Advanced Engineering, as well as supporting the activities of teams elsewhere in product development. A key component of this work revolves around 1D simulation and driver-in-loop simulators, both dynamic and static.
This role is biased towards the operation, maintenance, and development of the driver-in-loop simulators. Other roles in the sub-team are biased towards modelling (of both vehicles and surrounding environments), simulation methodologies and data management. However, the sub-team will operate in an agile manner, with significant overlap between areas of responsibility and hence opportunities to develop new skills.
As part of a small team, responsible for the operation, maintenance, and development of driver-in-loop simulators:
- Manage and develop simulator peripheral systems, e.g. audio and visual systems, cockpit environments, data logging and data storage.
- Work with other engineering teams to prepare and perform experiments and tests in the simulator, including model development and system integration.
- Design and develop cueing and other driver feedback systems.
Additional responsibilities within the same small team, which is also responsible for the development of virtual engineering tools and frameworks:
- Perform virtual proof of concept work and support virtual engineering activities across the wider business.
- Design and maintain cross-department modelling frameworks, ensuring alignment with other simulation tools.
- Support collaborative activities in the wider advanced engineering team.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- High quality degree in a relevant subject (Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Electrical Engineering or Computer Science).
- In depth first principles understanding across multiple engineering fields.
- Strong experience in engineering testing, including data collection, and developing test procedures.
- Experience in system modelling, with competence in MATLAB/Simulink, Python and C++.
- Experience in simulation, ideally automotive simulation, at both high and low fidelity levels, including real-time applications.
- Creative and curious – keen to generate ideas, innovate, and push boundaries.
- Enthusiastic about learning new skills, unafraid to ask questions.
- Rigorous and pragmatic approach, employing a strong understanding of relevant first principles.
- Prepared to kill an idea/project when necessary, employing a fail-fast approach with key questions/risks addressed as early as possible.
- Good interpersonal skills, and able to work cross-functionally with clear communication.
- Able to work effectively both independently and within a team.
- Proactive and fast-moving, to prevent/solve problems quickly.
- Flexible approach, able to work across multiple concurrent projects.