For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
Red Bull Powertrains is a Formula One power unit manufacturing company and the newest addition to the Red Bull Technology Campus in Milton Keynes. Formed in 2021, Red Bull Powertrains is continuously expanding the team of experienced and talented engineers from different backgrounds, all working towards developing a championship winning Power Unit that will comply with 2026 regulations.
Red Bull Powertrains are looking for a talented and motivated Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Gas Exchange) to join the Mechanical Design team, based at our state-of-the-art Powertrains development facility on our Milton Keynes campus. You will work on the development of components and systems, to make recommendations and advise designers on suitable design criteria to ensure the engine is optimised, safe, and reliable.
Key responsibilities of this Senior Mechanical Design Engineer role:
- Identify component and system development opportunities to increase performance, reliability or safety, or reduce component cost. Generate detailed requirements and specifications for components and systems. Release designs and analyse components and developments, as directed by the Head of Concept and Hybrid Mechanical Design
- Work closely and cohesively with the other members of the Team and Department on the development of components and systems, and ensure engineering tools are suitable for use.
- Peer check others work to ensure requirements and targets are met, and that a consistent and high quality standard is achieved across the team, and department.
Essential Competencies of this Senior Mechanical Design Engineer role:
- A Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent qualification.
- Experience in F1 hybrid power unit design is advantageous but high-performance racing engine experience or involvement in high-performance R&D projects is a pre-requisite.
- A high level of Mechanical Engineering competence in both technical and practical applications.
- CAD capability is a must in one of the major packages.
- Technical drawing with GD&T of complex machined parts.
- A good understanding of ERS design and its contribution to on track performance.
- Evidenced experience of complex decision making and strategic thinking when faced with imperfect data and challenging timelines
We are committed to supporting the development of all our team members and place as much value in aptitude and willingness to learn as in specific skills or experience. A career in Formula 1 offers a unique opportunity for both personal and professional development and if successful we will help you develop your existing skills in mechanical engineering and design through both formal training and on-the-job mentoring in a challenging and rewarding work environment.
At Red Bull Powertrains, we offer more than just a competitive salary. Other benefits include our bonus scheme, private health care cover, life assurance scheme, workplace nursery scheme, company contributed pension scheme, on site gym & fitness classes, free daily food allowance, and a cycle to work scheme; but above all, the job satisfaction doesn’t get any better than the feeling of making a real contribution to our championship winning grand prix cars.
Mon, 18 Dec 2023