For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
We’re looking for an experienced and enthusiastic Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join the Gas Exchange team within Red Bull Powertrains. Our open and dynamic working environment ensures that everyone is empowered and encouraged to make a valuable contribution to help deliver World Championship winning cars year on year.
You will be a key part of the Gas Exchange Team which is responsible for the design and development of our F1 PU Inlet System, Exhaust and Wastegate System and PU Hydraulic Systems. This team operates at the heart of the thermodynamic development of our power units, whilst also working closely with chassis departments to deliver the most competitive total car package on the grid. In a rapidly changing regulatory environment, you will be required to apply physics from first principles and knowledge of cutting-edge technology to create high performance PU hardware. You will capture thermal and mechanical implications in your designs to deliver optimum solutions to our hybrid F1 cars.
To be successful in this Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Gas Exchange) role, you will need:
- In-depth knowledge of mechanical design and stress analysis.
- Practical test and data analysis experience to define design validation test requirements.
- Practical experience of power unit / chassis integration.
- Practical experience of thermal management and heat transfer including cooling systems.
- An appreciation of high-power electrical design and system level influences on cell block design.
- Proven track record of design for manufacture and design for assembly.
- A good Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent qualification.
- Extensive experience in high-performance motorsport design, or similarly demanding fast-paced working environment is a pre-requisite.
Not only is this a fantastic Senior Mechanical Design Engineer (Gas Exchange) role, but it is also a fantastic team to work with here at Red Bull Powertrains. A good salary is just the start, there are many other benefits too such as our bonus scheme, private health care cover, life assurance scheme, workplace nursery scheme, company contributed pension scheme, on site gym & fitness classes, free daily food allowance, and a cycle to work scheme; but above all, the job satisfaction doesn’t get any better than the feeling of making a real contribution to our championship winning grand prix cars.
Sat, 21 Jan 2023