Every F1 win is the result of incredible teamwork. Making it happen takes the same level of skill, dedication, and teamwork from the Formula 1 team. We’re looking for an Innovation Technologist to join our Track Systems team, driving technical innovation to help achieve the organisation’s goals.
The Formula 1 Track Systems department manages and develops circuit-based systems that provide core support for F1, the FIA, F1 Teams, and Support Series. Our combined elements comprise an optical communications network, telemetry, and data acquisition platforms that provide connectivity and supply data to our race operations, the competitors, and other event related clients.
We are looking for candidates with a passion for technology and innovation, to help us advance our organisational goals.
You will focus on system continuity and improvement, new requirements, and initiatives. You will be required to understand the objectives and technical challenges, converse with stakeholders, skilfully research solutions and present detailed proposals for consideration.
You will also work with the relevant internal owners or stakeholders to prove concepts, evaluate new equipment, and implement new and innovative solutions.
Before embarking on research and proof-of-concept initiatives, you will spend time learning some of the technical systems and services and gaining an understanding of the organisation’s objectives. This will involve travelling to some international events, however future travel will only be required when necessary for your work.
The role requires you to:
- Work independently or with internal and external stakeholders to research, evaluate, and recommend technical solutions that will improve the operation.
- Research and quickly learn new technologies, processes, strategies, and tools required to meet project requirements.
- Drive technical meetings with business owners, technical specialists from F1 and external companies.
- Be a self-driven, systems thinker. You can translate complex technical concepts into clear, concise, and actionable reports.
- Submit detailed proposals for consideration, comprising:
- Budget and cost analysis
- Timelines and milestones
- Risk analysis and mitigation
- Quality assurance and testing
- Implementation plan and metrics for success
- Be able to collaborate with hardware and software specialists to recommend solutions.
- Demonstrate an understanding, and work with recognised project management methodologies.
- Plan and conduct demonstrations and tests, as well as supporting systems at M&TC and out in the field. This would require F1 race attendance.
- Degree in Engineering or related technical discipline
- Experience of working within a technical environment
- Previous role as Project or Technical Lead
- Background in engineering, including delivering and utilising a wide range of technologies and platforms.
- Experience with design and development of solutions from concept through to testing and deployment
- Technical report compilation
- Great planning skills, including the ability to prioritise and multi-task effectively.
- Accomplished technical background in one or more of the following: system engineering, software engineering, digital, broadcast and media, IT (this is more about the technical approach than being an expert in all areas).
- Proven problem-solving skills to address technical challenges that may arise during the development process.
- Ability to analyse situations, identify root causes, and propose effective solutions.
- Systems thinker with a passion for technology
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Ability to travel internationally (organised by the company)
- Ability to work on weekends during event hours, whether UK or abroad
- Broadcast or live event experience
- Electronic hardware, software and design principles
- Knowledge of Formula 1
- Principles of RF
- IT Networks or Optical network
- Fibre optic infrastructure deployment and management.
Join Team Formula 1, make it happen!