The world around us is experiencing significant change, the greatest in generations.
At McLaren Applied, we’re accelerating the response to that change. Our vision is that our people and technologies will pioneer a better future. Our mission is to achieve breakthroughs in performance.
We’re at the cutting edge of innovation in industries including automotive transportation and motorsport. We create solutions that drive efficiency and cost-effectiveness.
We want to help to reduce the carbon footprint and become more sustainable. Our focus is on electrification and telemetry, control and analytics.
To deliver efficient lightweight electric powertrain and vehicle development; motorsport solutions that make series more sustainable and efficient; reliable connectivity solutions for transportation and insightful analytics and monitoring of transport fleets.
By applying our expertise, we deliver real benefits and pioneer a better future.
Purpose of the Role
The Field Application Engineer will support customers use of McLaren Applied hardware, embedded software, and off-car configuration and data analysis software. This role will include significant, unsocial hours and weekend work, with the possibility of significant US based travel.
Reporting to the Field Application Team Leader within the Control Application Engineering team you will support the NASCAR Cup Series and associated software tools trackside and/or remotely during NASCAR events. You will interact with other departments across the company in order to diagnose and solve any potential technical issue, provide trackside feedback to steer future development and influence the product strategy.
- Provide remote or trackside support of NASCAR Cup races.
- Occasional remote or trackside support of IndyCar support.
- Provide support and training at customer premises.
- Represent the customer’s viewpoint within McLaren Applied.
- Work with internal teams to push through issue resolution.
- Assist with improving departmental procedures and knowledge base.
- Take on development projects as and drive these forwards with minimal supervision.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems under pressure, probing problems to objectively understand whether it is a failure of the system or its environment.
- Recognise potential revenue streams.
We’d love to hear from you if you can/have:
- Accurately interpret observations noted trackside to advise solutions or escalate appropriately.
- Diagnose hardware and software problems under pressure with a detailed and methodical approach.
- Good communicator with the ability to capture information quickly and accurately.
- Good understanding of the electronic elements of motorsport systems and powertrains, including the characteristics of typical sensors and actuators used in motorsport.
- Experience working in NASCAR or IndyCar or similar motorsport series.
- Experience of working trackside in a motorsport environment.
- Experience of the following tools:
- Data analysis tools such as ATLAS or equivalent
- ECU set-up tools such as System Monitor would be useful
- Excel VBA
- Knowledge of one or more general purpose programming languages including, but not limited to: Python, Java, C#, C++
- Educated to undergraduate level in an engineering or mathematics-based subject. Equivalent experience will also be considered.
What we can offer you
In return for everything you bring to the table, we can ensure an exciting, challenging role in a dynamic business surrounded by some of the best people in their respective fields.
At McLaren Applied we firmly believe it’s the relationships and friendships we create while working that make us special. We’re also aware that the world is changing and we are part of that change. We all want and need different things from our work and home lives, so, if you have commitments outside of work, we’re open to talking through flexible working options that work for you and us.
McLaren Applied are committed to Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) and promote DEI in all we do. McLaren Applied are also members of the UK Government Disability Confident Scheme.