For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
Red Bull Powertrains is a Formula One power unit manufacturing company and the newest addition to the Red Bull Technology Campus in Milton Keynes.
Formed in 2021, Red Bull Powertrains is continuously expanding the team of experienced and talented engineers from different backgrounds, all working towards developing a championship winning Power Unit that will comply with 2026 regulations.
We are looking for a Senior ERS Test Technician to join the Validation & Testing Group who are a vital part of Red Bull Powertrains, responsible for ensuring the maximum performance and reliability of the powertrain systems under race conditions.
The group use state-of-the-art physical testing equipment and methods to test and validate various Powertrain components and systems, ranging from single parts to full vehicles with electrified Powertrains. The group also employs advanced test technology, automation tools and the latest testing methodologies to optimise the testing process and deliver high-quality results.
This role requires a dynamic, passionate and highly motivated individual. A strong team player, with previous electric machines, power/electronics and controllers operation experience, who works well as an individual to constantly deliver under pressure and mentor junior technicians.
Key Accountabilities for the Senior ERS Test Technician:
- Installation of ERS and their components on advanced test beds of varying types.
- Basic instrumentation and data logging of the Units Under Test (UUT’s).
- Responsible for maintaining test dyno & rigs run logs and for facility breakdown reporting.
- Regular servicing and repairs of test equipment and support these activities on UUT’s where required.
- First line analysis and interpretation of test results.
- First line fault identification of the UUT’s and /or test rigs, reporting issues appropriately.
- Identify inefficiencies in current process and deliver improvements.
- Identify faults within the dyno area and pro-actively work on the resolution.
Key Competencies for the Senior ERS Test Technician:
- You will have relevant experience in the field of state-of-the-art electric powertrains and/or their components testing, ideally with top class racing background.
- Can demonstrate a good practical knowledge in the area of ERS systems (motor, inverter), ideally within a motorsport environment, as well as basic electrics and hydraulics systems skillset within motorsport.
- An apprenticeship or NVQ Level 3 vocational qualification or higher in Mechanical or Motor Vehicle Engineering and relevant technical experience.
- Experience of operating modern automated test equipment in High-Voltage (HV) Environments.
- A good understanding of motor vehicle technology and knowledge of F1 powertrain architecture.
- Strong practical skills with good manual dexterity.
- Experience of using test cell instrumentation, measurement and CAN communication devices.
- Being an HV Competent Person is desirable.
At Red Bull Powertrains, we offer more than just a competitive salary. Other benefits include our bonus scheme, private health care cover, life assurance scheme, workplace nursery scheme, company contributed pension scheme, on site gym & fitness classes, free daily food allowance, and a cycle to work scheme; but above all, the job satisfaction doesn’t get any better than the feeling of making a real contribution to our championship winning grand prix cars.
Mon, 18 Dec 2023