For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
Red Bull Powertrains is a Formula One power unit manufacturing company and the newest addition to the Red Bull Technology Campus in Milton Keynes. Formed in 2021, Red Bull Powertrains is continuously expanding the team of experienced and talented engineers from different backgrounds, all working towards developing a championship winning Power Unit that will comply with 2026 regulations.
We are looking for an ERS Test Engineer to join the Validation & Testing Group who are a vital part of Red Bull Powertrains, responsible for ensuring the maximum performance and reliability of the powertrain systems under race conditions.
The group use state-of-the-art physical testing equipment and methods to test and validate various Powertrain components and systems, ranging from single parts to full vehicles with electrified Powertrains. The group also employs advanced test technology, automation tools and the latest testing methodologies to optimise the testing process and deliver high-quality results.
This role requires a dynamic, passionate and highly motivated individual. A strong team player, with a strong background of executing validation tests on a shaker, who works well as an individual to constantly deliver under pressure. The successful candidate will be expected to display a consistent high level of energy and pro-activity to assist Red Bull Powertrains & Red Bull Technology achieve its business objectives.
Key accountabilities for the ERS Test Engineer role:
- Develop and execute vibration testing procedures for the Energy Recovery System (ERS) in a shaker environment including: motor, inverter and/or battery to ensure that it meets safety, performance and reliability requirements
- Instrumentation of UUTs to be tested on shakers and additionally instrumentation of ERS elements to be tested on the Dynos/Rigs which may require vibration instrumentation and setting up.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and testing software to ensure reliable and repeatable test results
- Analyse and report test data to verify that the system meets the team’s performance and reliability targets and to capture any potential issues, and areas for improvement
- Collaborate with other teams in the acceptance testing procedures, test equipment and pass / fail criteria
- Support on the definition of Risk Assessments and ensure high level of H&S performance within the area of responsibility by applying safe systems of work including the development and implementation of safety procedures for laboratory and ERS dyno testing.
- Investigate issues, faults or anomalies on the ERS elements associated with vibrations:
- review test data and support the investigation by sharing findings with internal teams or suppliers
- feedback findings to other team members to improve reliability or performance
Key Competencies for the ERS Test Engineer role:
- A Mechanical degree or equivalent qualification.
- Significant Vibration validation exposure and experience, exposure to electric powertrains systems is highly desirable
- Advanced user of data logging systems and analysis tools
- Experience developing vibration testing methodologies
- Experience with instrumentation of UUTs to be tested in a shaker environment
- Strong fault finding and diagnostic abilities
- Proficiency in reporting and data analysis software like Matlab
- Simcenter SCADAS (or equivalent) and ATLAS/System Monitor experience is desirable
- CAN systems experience including CANape is desirable
At Red Bull Powertrains, we offer more than just a competitive salary. Other benefits include our bonus scheme, private health care cover, life assurance scheme, workplace nursery scheme, company contributed pension scheme, on site gym & fitness classes, free daily food allowance, and a cycle to work scheme; but above all, the job satisfaction doesn’t get any better than the feeling of making a real contribution to our championship winning grand prix cars.
Fri, 12 Jan 2024