Location: Silverstone, Northamptonshire
Contract: Full Time
Report to: CTO
Salary: £45,000 to £55,000 dependent on experience
Engaged in exciting and aggressive turnkey motorsport and track based programmes we are looking for an Electrical Integration Engineer to join the team in this ambitious and growing high performance engineering business. We are looking for someone with a “can do” attitude and strong lateral thinking skills, who is excited by the engineering process and can apply their skills to a variety of diverse projects using their initiative and knowledge.
KW Special Projects is a high-performance design and engineering solution provider at the heart of the Silverstone Technology Cluster. KWSP uses the speed and agility of the motorsport industry upon which it was founded to provide cutting-edge, on-demand design and engineering services.
By transferring knowledge and technology from one sector to another they develop novel solutions to their clients’ challenges which have led to them working on projects from Additively Manufactured Batteries through to equipment for Professional Sports Teams.
However, they are still most well known for their expertise within the Automotive & Motorsport world and to this day continue to leverage their motorsport DNA to deliver complete engineering solutions for high-performance and niche vehicles.
Our capabilities include
- High Performance Engineering
- Digital Fabrication
- Additive Manufacturing
- Lightweight structures and composites
- Industrial Inkjet
- High Performance Engineering project management
- Special purpose machine design and manufacture
About the role
Reporting to the CTO you will work as part of the team on numerous engineering programmes. Our programmes require a diverse range of engineering skills; therefore, we are interested to hear from applicants who can demonstrate fundamental understanding and experience in the following areas:
- Electrical systems integration
- Ownership and delivery of vehicle control systems
- Powertrain system integration
- Tier 1 supplier & customer management
All component and system development are to be developed and managed in collaboration with opposing vehicle areas, system integrating relating to both mechanical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems will be required.
Due to the level of autonomy we require from the design team a minimum of 10 years’ experience on vehicle systems is a prerequisite. Unfortunately for this role we are unable to consider Formula Student as part of this experience.
You will be communicating with clients and suppliers at all levels. As a result, you will also need to demonstrate effective communication skills.
The role would appeal to someone who works best when they need to think creatively about a design solution, adaptable to client requirements and is able to work independently whilst communicating with the team.
Specifically, all positions will involve.
- Extensive use of Catia for concept and detailing
- Working and developing design specifications to meet budget requirements in terms of time and costs.
- Awareness of vehicle build processes, servicing and assembly considerations
- Developing concepts schemes to releasing designs for manufacturing
- Preparing detailed design models and drawings – both composite and metallic
- Tooling and fixture detailing for complete component production
- Creating and managing Bills of Materials in collaboration with the wider team
- Liaison with suppliers
- Ownership of build requirement
Managing Customer Relationships
Communicating with management and customers effectively at all levels in relation to;
- Preparing Specifications
- Design reviews
- Project reviews
- Project delivery
Project co-ordination / management:
- Control own work to time and work within budgetary requirements/constraints
- Manage others as required
- Plan and estimate work and budgets
Person Specification: Core competencies and experience.
Applicants will preferably have a degree in electrical engineering or a related discipline. We will however consider applicants with an HND in mechanical engineering or a related discipline. We will also consider individuals with equivalent experience.
All applicants are required to have:
- Proven and skilled use of software CATIA V5
- Familiarity with industry standard data acquisition systems
- Evidence of client-facing experience
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prepare specifications and deliver these within budget
- Confident use of MS-Office applications
- Experience in drawing office procedures
- Proven skills in detailed analysis from first principles
- Knowledge of DO procedures and engineering sign-off processes
- Creation and dissemination of good working practises and processes
- Practical hands-on assembly experience – design for assembly
The successful applicant will be:
- a problem solver/have strong lateral thinking skills
- able to demonstrate a commitment to quality and meeting customer requirements
- able to show initiative
- tenacious in meeting deadlines
- practical as well as creative and prepared to be hands on
- able to demonstrate precision and attention to detail including good record-keeping
- able to work effectively under time pressure
- able to work with health and safety in mind in terms of design and working procedures
The role may require you to work out of main office hours or to travel around the UK or abroad and spend periods of time with our customers off site.
Whilst every effort has been made to explain the main duties and responsibilities of the post, each individual task undertaken may not be identified.
Employees will be expected to comply with any reasonable request from a manager to undertake work of a similar level that is not specified in this job description.
Opportunities for Career Development
KWSP is a small but growing business. For someone with the right “can do” attitude, technical skill and initiative there may be future opportunities within the business.