At McLaren Racing, we believe only by chasing performance in everything we do can we give ourselves the best chance of success. Performance on track and in the factory. Performance for our people, our business and our partners. It’s about more than winning. It’s about hitting the highest standards, and then raising the bar again.
Purpose of the Role:
You will be responsible for developing the specification of the car cooling system, from calculation to detail drawings of components, including any manufacturing tooling and rig parts required.
The components in the Engine Systems area of the car also include fuel, hydraulic and engine installation parts and as a member of the wider car design team you will be expected to contribute to the design of these activities and other parts of the when the need arises.
Role reports to the Head of System Design.
The role is office based at MTC (or periods of WFH as agreed with your manager in line with company policy) with occasional travel as required
Contracted hours plus additional flexibility in working hours outside core hours which may include periods of time in evenings or at weekend to cover requirements of the business in order to complete tasks to critical deadlines and also to cover occasional design support for events.
- Development and design of all parts of a cooling system .
- Liaising with other technical groups including aerodynamics and simulation to determine cooler sizing
- Specification and design of test equipment required for test and development work
- Organisation and overseeing of rig testing
- Data analysis and making recommendations for improvements
- Reporting of results in a clear, concise and structured manner
- Technical liaison with relevant suppliers
- Be able to take a project brief and work accurately and at pace in line with requirements of modern F1 racing design department, communicating with all key stake holders and taking responsibility for the design work required for successful outcome of the project
- Reliability and fault investigation and the designing of any required fixes
- When required, to assist in design work related to components in other areas of the car
- Carry out tasks following latest processes and procedures with guidance from department best working practice