Description & Requirements
No restraints. No limitations. We don’t simply push boundaries. We completely rethink them. McLaren Automotive exists to create breath-taking performance road cars.
With innovation at the core of all we do, every challenge starts with the same question. How can we do it better? This restless spirit runs right through McLaren Automotive. And the search for perfection is evident in everything we do.
Purpose of Role
To lead and manage the Communications across Central European markets (Germany Switzerland Poland and Latvia) and support the Head of Market – Central Europe in the delivery of a high-level strategic Communications/PR strategy across those markets.
You will be responsible to maximize coordination and cross-market synergies as well as set up the appropriate structure resources and procedures to support the Communications plan & the Communications & PR activities across Central Europe. The Press Manager will report directly to the Head of Market – Central Europe, part of the Europe, Middle East and Africa region. Due to the nature of the role and the demands of a progressive company flexible working arrangements and travel are anticipated as well as significant national and foreign travel.
- The role reports directly into the Head of Market – Central Europe part of the Europe Middle East and Africa region, based in Germany.
- You will work closely and daily with the Central Europe Regional key stakeholders to focus on the needs of the region.
- You will be the key contact for the Central PR team (including Social media) to ensure alignment of the strategy and activation within the region.
- You will work closely with other key members of the Sales and Marketing team as and when needed.
- Lead an automotive Communications function across the Central European markets managing the DACH PR agency and working alongside the PR representatives at the retail partner level.
- Managing the Central Europe PR Budget to achieve the yearly objectives set.
- Developing and maintaining a detailed relevant media list of automotive business and lifestyle contacts across Central Europe markets.
- Increase awareness and positive opinion of McLaren Automotive through the creation and implementation of a PR strategy for product launches, press release, communication and media relationship building.
- To develop and implement strategy to maximise McLaren's editorial share of voice, creating desire and aspiration by generating positive editorial comments focused on media that will be most relevant to our target customers, for which KPIs will be developed around brand share-of-voice and sentiment across targeted automotive and non-automotive media.
- Thought leadership in matters relating to Automotive PR.
- First line point of contact for the media in both positive press generation and, where necessary, damage control.
- Act as McLaren spokesperson on all issues to all media.
- Leverage positive relationships with a wide range of senior contacts within the lifestyle and automotive spheres of journalism and other media (including the ‘blogosphere’) up to and including senior magazines, on-line editors and section editors as well as their equivalents within TV news organisations
- Identifying and enlisting ‘McLaren influencers/ambassadors’ and senior McLaren-positive opinion-formers
- Overseeing the management administration of the Central Europe press fleet as well as ensuring a high utilisation percentage
- Working closely with the Central Europe retail partner network to ensure a professional delivery and handover process of the McLaren fleet by optimising the media drives in the region
- Being the closest contact to the Central PR team within the sub-region, to ensure the alignment of the communications led by central.
- Working alongside the Central PR team to ensure the Central Europe markets representation at all Central / Global Media Drives or activities.
- Supporting the Central PR team to implement a strong performance test planning across Central European markets and assisting logistically.
- Overseeing with collation of all reports and analysis including media measurements, press clippings and internal business updates.
- Sharing the best articles with Central Europe retail partners through a retailer newsletter to sustain interest, provide content that can be used as CRM, and keep partners updated on the feedback from the press on the McLaren brand and range.
- Maintaining regular contact and supporting the Central Europe retail partner network to find out potential news stories of media interest and defining best communication platform: social release, notification internal, etc.
- Collecting all key reports and articles to share a consolidated report (printed or digital) with retailers following specific activities or on a yearly basis.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
First language German & fluent in English.
- Strong knowledge of the Central Europe (Germany Switzerland Poland Latvia) media landscape.
- Existing relationships with media required; established network of contacts.
- Experience of working within dynamic and change-oriented teams to function effectively in rapid-changing environments.
- Experience in core communications skills including presenting, writing for print and online media, internal reporting and agency/supplier management.
- Experience in managing a budget.
- A proactive mindset that has generated creative solutions to strategic and tactical business challenges supporting Sales and Marketing goals.
- General understanding of design and engineering attributes of supercars and of the history of global supercar development.
For the position advertised, experience in the automotive and luxury industries, fluent written and spoken English and German plus a third language is a plus.
- Based in Germany.
- Professional and credible ambassador of the McLaren brand values.
- A winning mentality and can-do attitude - demonstrating great drive to achieve outstanding results.
- Ability to mix confidently with senior journalists senior management and the calibre of customers and VIPs who are clients of McLaren.
- Ability to easily adapt to new situations to persuade different audiences and effectively pitch stories to media.
- Ability to brief team and spokespersons reflecting a belief in the company objectives and decisions.
- Ability to be reactive resolve problems quickly under pressure to raise potential risks and propose related solutions for decision.
- The ability to maintain a consistent high level of work and professional output in times of change.
- A good level of commercial acumen supporting budget ambitions and understanding the broader business context of automobile production sales and after sales.
- Ability to work well within a team environment and communicate clearly with the team.
- Comprehensive knowledge of/experience in PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
- Driving license.
All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.