On the track, Formula 1 is a team sport. And the business behind is the same. We’re looking for a Track Systems Engineer to join our team.
You will be the responsible person for the installation, deployment and management of the F1 timing data acquisition and communications system at F1 race locations and remotely from our Media & Technical Centre in Biggin Hill.
Reporting into the Track Systems Team Manager, you will:
- Competently install the timing loops, beacons and track temperature sensors in the surface of the track. This involves manual work including digging, soldering, operation of machinery and tools (for which health and safety training will be provided).
- Take responsibility for the day to day function of F100 in the absence of a Senior Engineer or Team Manager.
- Be familiar with and capable of operating all department systems at races.
- Assist Team Manager in developing the knowledge base within the team.
- Have a good understanding of Departmental hardware and software
- A basic knowledge of the surrounding systems (both internal and external) and their relationship to the F100 system with a willingness to learn.
- Installation, testing and termination of co-axial cable and multi core twisted pair data cable used for loop and decoder data communications.
- Understanding of all aspects of the timing data acquisition system and related hardware including configuring all components.
- Fault finding on basic IT networks and cable systems
- Compile and publish the reports and fault logs for the department.
- Be prepared to work in an outdoor environment in a multitude of global destinations.
- Ensure department and company tools and equipment are correctly used, maintained and freighted between races.
- Terminate AS Motorsport type connectors and build or repair simple looms required for testing or operations.
- Read, comprehend and work to the F1 Circuit Drawings to achieve the correct equipment setup for a race.
- Commissioning Departmental hardware and software systems, carrying out fault diagnosis and repairs.
- Manage and prioritise projects from day to day
- Monitor and verify incoming and outgoing data using F1 software to ensure correct function of company systems. Report issues to Team Manager or Group Manager.
- Systems installation planning and liaising with other departments or external parties to ensure all stakeholder requirements are met.
- Manage and coordinate the smooth operation of Department systems during F1 events
- You are required to communicate with stakeholders and clients of our systems via the F1 Teams Liaison system. Your written work must show attention to technical detail as well as good spelling and grammar.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the department hardware deployed on track and on car, to enable a competent level of fault diagnosis.
- Maintain a knowledge of CAN protocols and the F1 on-car equipment that utilises this communication. Your level of knowledge will enable you to converse with system stakeholders in order to feed-back performance information.
- Compile and publish technical reports for the department and your Manager.
- Log and update issues in company fault tracking system.
- Maintain the department equipment manifest – Track faults or repairs to ensure there is a good level of working spares.
- Ability to specify appropriate equipment for department operations, and to submit orders using the company procurement system.
- Take responsibility for the deployment of department software and hardware to ensure appropriate service provision.
- Degree standard electrical or electronic qualification or equivalent experience
- HND standard electrical or electronic qualification with experience
- Fault finding on electrical/electronic wiring and CAN based systems
- Understanding of wiring diagrams and technical drawings
- Technical report writing
- Use of network based equipment – PCs, routers, TCP/IP equipment etc
- Data analysis using Excel and Wintax.
- Intermediate to advanced level in Microsoft Windows Excel and Word.
- Intermediate IT skills and computer experience
- Competent software user with experience of a TCP/IP operating environment
- Ability to operate bespoke department software systems
- Loom building and cable termination with a variety of connectors
- Strong team working ability – capable of working outdoors in harsh environments
- Ability to travel on a regular basis for extended periods (1 to 3 weeks)
- Driving License with experience driving abroad
Join Team Formula 1, make it happen!