Basic Function: Team member is directly responsible for the preparation and build of race cars. Including car performance, safety, reliability, and technical inspection compliance.
· Communicate with mechanics, managers, race engineers and supporting departments to build race cars.
· Traveling with the team to races and tests to ensure the racecar is properly functioning in preparation for successful on-track performance.
· Ensuring all components of the race car are safely joined, bolted, or otherwise secured.
· Be involved in daily, weekly, monthly planning for build schedules and service intervals. Required to communicate daily build plans to mechanics and prepare them for overall weekly work.
· Rule book understanding of areas that pertain to technical specifications, event procedures and pit lane rules.
· Maintain a professional and clean appearance of race cars, equipment at the shop and the track. Keeping work area clean and always organized. While also ensuring others are doing the same
· Inventory tracking including number of parts, current service status, updates required.
· Ensure that all required items of equipment, spare parts, car options are loaded on transporter.
· Develop ideas that will increase car performance, reliability, and crew efficiently.
· Meeting specified deadlines for race car preparation while producing a quality product.
· Prepare information regarding pre-event preparation for crew. Post event meeting information for race weekends and testing.
· Required to produce worklist and car preparation information between events.
· Maintaining accurate records of post event teardown and event information.
· Openly communicating with team members during race weekends regarding pit lane changes and daily schedule targets.
· Providing direction and acting as a mentor to less experienced mechanics to ensure quality control while promoting a positive learning environment.
· Safely operating equipment according to recommended safety specifications, including use of all protective equipment necessary.
· Identifying any safety hazards and reporting all risks immediately to a supervisor.
· Safekeeping and proper use of all company property issued during employment including uniforms, tools, toolboxes, electronic devices, credit cards and any other productivity tools.
· Professionally represent the team and its sponsors on and off-track premises. Treating partners and their guests with respect by acknowledging them and appropriately answering their questions during shop, garage, and pit tours.
· Participating in the workout program designed to maximize physical strength and endurance to remain competitive at a professional level.
· Aiding other team members on other duties as appropriate.
· 3+ years’ experience as chief mechanic on Indycar, Sports Car or F1 series race cars.
· Demonstrate a complete understanding of set-up specifications for race cars and the appropriate safety mechanisms for each component.
· Ability to communicate to all team members.
· Must meet professional level performance criteria to be a member of the pit crew.
· Must be able to interpret and follow set-up designs for individual race and test events.
· Intimate knowledge of mechanical components, electronics, and structural framework of race cars.
· Manual experience using one or more of the following: lathe, mill, drill press, band saw.
· Must be proficient in using precision measuring devices.
· Magnaflux & Zyglo non-destructive testing certification required.
· High school diploma or equivalent, basic reading, writing and arithmetic skills.
· Computer skills including Microsoft office programs: Xcel, Word, Teams, One Note, Outlook, Share Point, One Drive. These programs will also be utilized with a smart phone.
· Must be able to concentrate on detailed work for long periods.
· Work environment contains hazardous chemicals and fumes. Must be able to demonstrate knowledge of emergency safety procedures and an ability to use safety equipment correctly.