Purpose of the Role:
You will be part of a large team of skilled machinists working at pace to deliver metallic, polymer, and foam components, driving performance on track throughout the season. During the build season you will be responsible for operating a 3-axis water jet cutting machine, alongside a precision lapping machine to produce complex parts with diligence, playing your part in the demanding task of building a new race car. You will use your skills and experience on CNC water jet machines to manufacture car components, pit equipment, foam inserts and parts for our Heritage cars. McLaren has a formidable history – come and be part of our future success!
Reporting to the Machining Team Leader(s) and or Shift Lead(s), it is your responsibility to deliver high-quality components on time and in full whilst working to best practice and embracing continuous improvement to meet the overarching strategic vision for the department. The role demands a skilled, diligent, and agile person that works well as part of the team and is target driven.
- Manufacture of precision components to supplied CAD and engineering drawings
- Confidently programme parts via our CAM system
- Programming, operating, and setting a 3-axis CNC water jet cutter
- Programming, operating, and setting an open face lapping machine
- Maintain program and tooling records for all components produced
- Manage workflow on your machines to maximise output without compromising quality
- Responsible for fundamental inspection of parts to ensure the ongoing quality of batches
- Basic maintenance of the water jet cutting machine, including high pressure seals, and cutting heads
- Maintain a high-quality shift handover record with other shift-based employees in the machine shop
- To be aware of health and safety legislation and contribute positively to safety standards on the shop floor