For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
Red Bull Powertrains have an exciting opportunity to join our expanding Performance Simulation Group, we are looking for a creative engineer with experience developing turbocharger aerodynamics. Working in an open and dynamic team where everyone can make a valuable contribution, the successful candidate will develop the performance of our turbocharger the ensure we produce Power Units that will deliver World Championships year on year.
From our newly constructed, state of the art Milton Keynes factory, you will be integrated within the Thermodynamic Simulation Department of Red Bull Powertrains. Tasked to deliver the maximum performance potential to the podium, your group will work closely with all teams within Red Bull Powertrains. In this role you will be on a mission to analyse develop and apply performance simulation tools for the purpose of improving PU performance.
To fulfil this Performance Simulation Engineer - Turbomachinery position you will need:
- A relevant engineering degree which includes a solid academic foundation in turbomachinery aerodynamics. (MSc or PhD would be advantageous)
- A minimum of 3 years industry experience developing turbomachinery aerodynamics.
- Experience developing compressor and turbine performance from first principals to 3D design using both CFD and FEA toolsets.
- A strong understanding of fluid dynamic principles / methods and their application to commercial simulation tools.
- Experience of scripting in Matlab or Python would be a distinct advantage.
- Used automatic optimization methods to improve performance.
- Physical testing experience.
- Experience using 1D tools for matching & system level evaluations
- Work with Senior Engineers and other departments to optimise all aspects of the turbocharger aerodynamics with the goal of improving PU performance
- Develop and validate commercially available and bespoke analysis tools
- Improving simulation and testing methodologies with model correlation.
- Present your results and conclusions effectively through written, visual and verbal communication
Exceptional candidates with some but not all of the above experience will be considered for a junior role with potential for progression within the team.
Not only is this an exciting role, it is also a fantastic team to work in. A good salary is just the start, there are many other benefits too such as our bonus scheme, private health care cover, life assurance scheme, company contributed pension scheme, on site gym & fitness classes, free food, and a cycle to work scheme.
Mon, 18 Dec 2023