Haas F1 Team is a dynamic Formula One racing team that inspires an open and expansive environment, full of opportunities for motivated individuals in pursuit of a challenge.
We are looking to enhance our Vehicle Performance department at our Race Team Hub in Banbury, UK. This is a fast-paced and challenging opportunity for a team-oriented Vehicle Performance Engineer to make a substantial impact within a small team.
This position reports to the Head of Vehicle Performance or their designee is located in Banbury, UK. This position is heavily involved with the development and the application of advanced simulation tools with a strong focus on providing information that will be utilized in the continuous improvement of the performance of the car.
- Promote teamwork and effective communications to develop working relationships between all personnel and departments.
- Working with Vehicle Science, Race Engineering and Aero Performance Group, be responsible for pre-event simulation activities as well as post-event correlation.
- Work with vehicle dynamics engineers to develop an in-depth understanding of vehicle systems, performance strengths and limitations.
- Continuously assess model correlation to both track and subsystem rig test data and work with developers to improve the modelling of all aspects of the car.
- Generate creative suggestions for performance improvement.
- Work with developers to automate processes and enhance the usefulness of the toolset.
- Conduct research to seek improvements in physics modelling and analysis approaches.
- Work with lab test engineers to improve experimental test facilities and processes
- Attending some pre- & in-season test events or some races to support and understand the trackside operation may occasionally be required.
- Will be required to participate in factory support of free practice and test sessions.
- Supporting Simulator activities when required.
- Follow all safety regulations in all venues.
- Assumes any responsibilities and duties delegated by the Head of Vehicle Performance or their designee.
Education and Work Experience:
- Minimum BSc in any STEM subject, but with substantial experience in applied mathematics or engineering. Typically requires at least 2-5 years of experience in the automobile racing industry, experience in high technology motorsport environment (F1 – LMP1 are preferable) is a plus.
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A can-do positive approach and a willingness to help others is essential.
- A robust technical background in applied mathematics, physics or engineering, ideally automotive/aeronautical/racing.
- Work to a consistently high standard in stressful and time sensitive situations, whilst prioritizing and managing the work load efficiently.
- A sympathetic approach to your work colleagues and an ability to integrate within a group environment.
Equipment and Applications:
- Solid computer knowledge, preferred experience in Microsoft Office products.
- Good level of knowledge of a computing language like MATLAB or Python, Modelica based programs and the McLaren Electronic Systems toolset.
- C#/C++ would be a plus.
- Experience with .NET Core, WPF, would be favourable but not essential.
Work Environment Physical Demands:
An ability to work and prioritize within a high pressure, time sensitive environment while retaining a methodical approach is essential. The role may require occasional domestic & international travel and a willingness to work long and flexible hours including weekends.
This position may require lifting to 50 pounds, repeated bending, squatting and manual dexterity. Fast-paced work environment requiring heavy mental demands. Work environment includes machinery, race cars, 7-post and other rigs, grinding debris, and hazardous fluids. All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.