Who we are:
Garrett Advancing Motion ’s Electric Boosting Center Of Excellence (eCOE) is looking for an experienced Electronics Lab Engineer to support development of high speed electric turbochargers and controllers.
The eCOE is charged with creating complex electric boosting solutions to meet increasingly stringent automotive regulations while still satisfying customer demands for performance and drivability. We are building a world class group that designs, develops and launches state of the art electric machines coupled to our market leading turbocharger technologies. These products will span vehicles from passenger cars to heavy duty commercial vehicles and include conventional and hybrid powertrains as well as fully electric fuel cell vehicles. By leveraging our aerospace and motorsports experience and heritage with high-power / high-speed electric motor technology, we lead the world in automotive boosting electrification. Garrett Advancing Motion is launching the first automotive production high speed electric compressor that, in addition to including one of the highest power density electric motors placed into automotive production, including the first automotive use of air foil bearings. To continue this momentum, we are growing our agile team of global experts to lead new technology development in Torrance, California.
We are looking for a talented Electronics Test Engineer to support the development of cutting-edge new products. You will be responsible for designing, building, commissioning, and operating new test infrastructure around the needs of the development engineering team for Electric Boosting/Power Electronics. Sometimes you will manage outsourcing of these activities when appropriate. Work with the senior engineers to understand what they actually need, then translate those needs to test equipment and procedure proposals. Ensure that team efforts are put toward the most effective possible test activities.
- Understand development team needs in order to design, build, and commission new test equipment and procedures.
- Tests typically include thermal, electrical, and mechanical testing of electro-mechanical devices, normally focused on turbomachinery, permanent magnet electric motors, and associated power electronics.
- All aspects of new test equipment and procedure development, including:
- Overall test design
- User Interface programming (LabView 2019)
- Data acquisition system specification, calibration, and setup, including:
- Thermocouples, thermistors, RTDs temperature measurement devices
- Orifice plate and turbine meter flow measurement devices
- Piezoelectric pressure sensors
- Process control, valve selection, and mechanical piping specification and implementation
- Ancillary equipment specification, vendor ID, & manage procurement to timeline
- Ex. High temperature recirculating chillers, Bi-directional DC Power Supplies
- CAN (Controller Area Network) and TCP/IP digital communications
- EMI issues associated with testing e-Boosting power electronics devices
- Documentation of new and existing test, setup, and calibration processes.
- Learn, document, and teach others how to setup and use complex test equipment for precise and accurate electrical measurements.
- Ex. Yokogawa WT1800 Power Meter and DL-850 scopecorder.
- Remain aware of trends in test infrastructure needs for the team and wider company and conceive and execute new projects to address them.
- Lead and participate in safety improvement activities around test infrastructure and labs.
- Lead by example in safe operation of equipment in lab environment, hold other team members accountable for safe conduct/environment.
- Participate in setup, execution, and maintenance of 5S organizational activities in lab areas.
- Embedded software team support when needed to write and/or test sections of code.
- B.S. in Mechanical, Electrical, or Computer Engineering
- 1 or more years work experience testing electro-mechanical products
- 1 years designing, building, and commissioning custom test infrastructure
Garrett is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.
This is an exciting time to join Garrett Motion! Garrett is one of the automotive industry’s most iconic brands, supplying cutting-edge technology solutions to nearly every major automaker and truck manufacturer in the world. Recognized for more than 65 years for its ground-breaking turbochargers, Garrett is today leading the breakthrough of new electric boosting applications and software solutions that will continue to make vehicles safer, more connected, efficient and environmentally friendly.