Technical Operations Manager
Position can be based in the Charlotte NC or Montreal area
This position requires up to 35 weeks of international travel
FanVision Entertainment is a North American based technology firm specializing in the design, development, and distribution of hardware and software products for the sports and entertainment industries. FanVision was founded in 2002 with the mission to "enhance the fan experience through technology". The company's purpose-built handheld devices are used by motorsports, football, tennis, and golf spectators to enjoy live audio, multiple camera angles and replays, and advanced data and analytics over a low-latency, extremely reliable proprietary network.
FanVision and Formula One are working closely together to provide a best-in-class fan experience through FanVision’s return to the circuit during the 2018 season with a revolutionary new product. Deeply integrated with Formula One’s Broadcast Operations, the FanVision system will be set up and operated at each event on the Formula One calendar.
The position represents the core values of FanVision Entertainment and respects the professional environment fostered by Formula One and its ecosystem of teams, corporate partners, venues, and media. Our relationship with the fans and event attendees is of paramount importance to the success of this program.
The position reports to the Director of Technical Operations, with whom s/he consults on complex issues. There is a network of other techs performing similar duties on other operations that become the first line of support and help.
Technical Operations Manager: MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
Setting up and Operating Fanvision’s broadcast AV, IT and RF systems for each event: (21 F1 Events)
- Physically deploy transmission systems, masts, antennas.
- Ensure connectivity
- Perform coverage tests and adjust system accordingly to provide optimal coverage
- Liaise with spectrum coordinator before and during event.
- Document and draw RF coverage map
- Troubleshoot any issues and communicate with team
- Constant travelling and weekend work schedule
- Perform weekly and daily checks on the system and report any anomalies
- Operate Fanvision software to make the system work according to spec
- Perform constant quality control on service delivered and react quickly to repair any issues.
- Communicate and escalate issues appropriately.
- Document procedures, and operating instructions related to the system.
- Generate an end of event report with detailed information on physical installation, performance of the system as well as suggestions on enhancements and improvements to the product and system.
Collaborate with vending team onsite, achieving results such as:
- Discuss and contribute to the global team success
- Participate actively in proposing solutions outside the main job function
- Communicate constantly to assess system’s performance
- Document and follow up on issues.
Maintain Technical equipment, achieving results such as:
- Ongoing pro-active maintenance of all field equipment.
- Test and validate spare equipment – field and office.
- Perform tests and comparison between proposed new systems and report on performance.
- Document and follow up on issues. Create RMAs or requests for replacement
Be part of the larger technical team, achieving results such as:
- Learn other operations and systems used elsewhere in the company. Participate actively in creating a collaborative atmosphere to contribute to overall success of operations.
- Be part of the team and help where necessary.
Participate in the development and continuous improvement of the system and product, achieving results such as:
- Being part of the action onsite gives you a different vantage point on the ins and outs of the sport and what information is available and pertinent to our users. We’d like this knowledge to be shared to create a better product experience.
- Advise product management team on product ideas, new data, what is being done at track that HQ doesn’t know.
- Help Develop the broadcast system be more efficient. Continuous development and improvements. Be analytical on what you do to find better ways to perform your job, improving the system leads to an easier job.
Performs other related duties, as assigned.
You can be called to participate in other FanVision events outside of Formula 1
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
This job might be for you if:
- You love travelling, and the international destinations involved. You can deal with the unexpected.
- You love playing with all things electronic, opening things up and peeking inside doesn’t scare you but gets you pumped
- You crave an unconventional schedule and are excited to be in a different location every week during race season
- You get the job done on your own, you prefer autonomy and know how to prioritize
- You treat issues as puzzles, not problems, and find working to solve them fun
- You are relentless at follow up and problem solving
- An ability to learn quickly
- Regularly lift and/or move objects 10-50lbs occasionally lift and/or move objects that weigh more than 100 lbs.
- Prior experience with A/V, TV and/or IT systems
- RF experience a must
- 5-8 years of experience working in the field of A/V, TV or IT systems
- Demonstrated interpretative and analytic ability
- Able to follow blue prints, systems and flow diagrams and understand wiring plans
- Experience and familiarity with video, audio and fiber connector types
- Strong hands on troubleshooting of physical cable interconnectivity, fiber connections
- Intermediate proficiency in Windows environment.
- Knowledge of IT systems, IP addressing, network troubleshooting tools
- Ability to perform network troubleshooting to diagnose static and dynamic IP’s.
- Unfazed by complex systems and can understand and retain new information quickly
- Advanced command of the English language, other languages a strong asset (Spanish, Italian and German)
- Past cabling experience
- IT certification
- Prior Sports/Racing experience.
Professionalism Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Committed to the schedule. Conscious of the live nature of the job. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Not afraid to ask for help or to say I don’t know.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Creativity: Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks "outside the box"; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches.
Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.