McLaren Racing has one single mission: To win Grands Prix and World Championships. To design, build and operate an F1 car at race-winning levels requires focus, ambition, imagination, dedication and attention to detail.
The Vehicle Simulation and Modelling Group delivers optimal toolsets to support this mission. This includes our driver in the loop simulator which is a key tool for exploring, understanding and maximising the performance of the car. This group is looking for a technically excellent Simulation Engineer.
In this role, you will be involved in analysing and improving our F1 racing simulator. Based on correlation analyses your goal is to improve our vehicle model, the cues used to immerse the driver and the systems that bring everything together, including helping to ensure that the simulator is up to date with the telemetry, models and control systems used at track. You will also use the simulator to learn about the driver, how he interacts with the car and how we can develop the best car and driver package for the grid.
You will find the role one that offers a broad range of challenges across several disciplines, all at the core of our performance development toolset.
- You have an outstanding academic background with an MEng or PhD in Mechanical / Control Engineering, Applied Maths, Physics or related discipline (high 2:1 or above).
- You thrive on varied technical challenges that push you academically and practically.
- You can quickly understand complex problems, identify and implement a route to solve them. Sometimes this will involve a pragmatic approach and other times it will involve researching advanced methods and applying them effectively.
- You can work well to deadlines on a variety of timescales and balance your workload between different projects.
- You would ideally have industrial or research experience in some relevant areas such as modelling of dynamical systems, vehicle dynamics, human factors or simulators.