Miller® is about building things that matter. We lead the welding industry in building advanced, solution-focused products and meeting crucial needs for welding safety and health.
We’re about the partnership and the work. Our products are designed with our users for manufacturing, fabrication, construction, aviation, motorsports, education, agriculture and marine applications.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
The Welding Segment at Miller Electric (an ITW Welding Company) is looking for a highly motivated individual for the position of Senior Software Engineer that will focus on developing software in support of Product Development. Primary responsibilities include design, development, and software support of commercial and industrial welding equipment. Custom embedded software is utilized to provide enhanced welding capability, user friendly machine interfaces, and extensive communication both internal to the welding system and external to customers.
This position will require an individual with a foundation of embedded software training and experience and the motivation to learn the advanced technologies used in the welding segment. The right candidate will ensure customer requirements and business objectives are achieved in each NPD project. Through an agile process, software development requirements and workload will be prioritized within the scope, schedule, resources, and risk management objectives of the NPD project manager.
This position requires a highly motivated individual with exceptional communications and interpersonal skills to influence with collaborative spirit and without authority. Leading, fostering, and facilitating software development collaboration within and across divisions in a decentralized software community is essential. This position will also require mentoring of early-in-career software developer talent.
Candidate must be a team player with a positive attitude. In addition to collaborating with other software engineers, the ideal candidate will also effectively work with hardware, power electronics, welding and mechanical engineers. The ideal individual should be accustomed to working with a sense of urgency while balancing calculated risks. This individual must be self-starter and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Primary responsibilities include design, development, test, and support of embedded device software within the Commercial Welding Platform NPD initiatives supporting both Miller and Hobart brands. A critical part of this role is integrating embedded controls to achieve arc characteristics that continue delivering world-class arc welding performance.
This candidate will:
- Take projects from original concept through final implementation
- Manage the software design, programming, and development of divisional projects
- Participate in project meetings and be responsible for assigned action items
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and project deliverables
- Identify innovative patentable solutions to end market needs Lead topical software roundtable discussions to impact process improvements
- Will provide support and assistance with Central Engineering software commonality initiative
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent required.
- Six (6) or more years of experience with demonstrated credibility and track record in embedded programming, to specify, architect, design, code, test, troubleshoot and support embedded applications in a team environment.
- Proficiency with software development processes and tools such as requirements management, design modeling / UML, software architecture, configuration management, software testing, task/issue/defect tracking and review
- Proficiency with IDE, source code control, documentation, and design modeling tools
- Proficiency in object oriented design and programming techniques and experience in a higher-level programming language (preferably C++).
- Experience in numerous embedded controls (e.g. PID control loops, motor control, digital filters, state machines, low-level peripheral drivers, etc.)
- Experience with embedded RTOS, state machines, schedulers and interrupt driving coding.
- Ability to work with multiple tasks independently to complete jobs on time with the right emphasis on priorities.
- Must be a self-starter with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with Agile or Scrum software development process in a team environment
- Familiarity with continuous integration build server technology
- Familiarity with troubleshooting hardware technology (i.e. reading electrical schematics and using multimeters and oscilloscopes)
- Familiarity with industrial fieldbus protocols and other serial network communications is a plus (ProfiNet, Ethernet/IP, DeviceNet, CAN, USB, RS485, Modbus, etc.).
- Ethernet and wireless communication stacks is a plus (TCP/IP, UDP, Zigbee, Bluetooth, wifi, etc.)
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.