After more than 60 years away from Formula One, Aston Martin is back on the grid for 2021. Based in Northamptonshire, Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team has almost 500 passionate people at its heart, making a team with both a rich heritage and a fresh perspective – bringing new energy to the sport with a determination to shake up the order and compete at the sharp end.
The Aston Martin era represents the beginning of a new journey for us, but the racer’s attitude and can-do approach remain central pillars in the team’s philosophy. The focus is always on improving performance and delivering results. With fresh investment and energy, the stage is set to build on Aston Martin’s rich history in motorsport and establish Aston Martin Cognizant Formula One™ Team as a competitive force in the years ahead.
To succeed on this mission, the team is looking for talented individuals who share our passion for racing and hunger for competition. It’s a stimulating and rewarding place to work, with pure racing at the core of everything we do. We are building for a strong future and every member of the team will play an important role in our success.
We are a brave and united team who value authenticity, honesty, and are never afraid to question conventions. We embrace these values in ways that reflect our modern world. If you share our racer’s spirit and want to contribute to the next chapter in Aston Martin’s glorious history, please apply and join one of the most exciting projects in Formula One.
An exciting opportunity exists for a Senior Simulator Development Engineer to join the Simulator Development Team, within our Performance Simulation Group.
Reporting to the Simulator Development Lead, the role will primarily be focused on the development of the Team’s DIL Simulator capability. The position will involve close cooperation with the Vehicle Model Development Team and the Vehicle Dynamics Group. Regular contact with Software, Controls, Race Engineering and Aerodynamics departments will be expected.
Required skills, qualifications & experience:
- Excellent degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Data Science or a related discipline.
- Strong problem solving, mathematical and analytical skills.
- Solid understanding of numerical methods, optimisation, statistics and control theory.
- Very strong knowledge of vehicle dynamics and lap time simulation concepts, as well as practical experience in these fields.
- Ability to work effectively within a cross-functional team and with minimal supervision.
- Capacity to report complex technical information concisely and professionally to tight deadlines.
- Extensive coding experience in MATLAB/Simulink and C/C++.
Any of the following skills, qualifications & experience would be relevant, but are not essential:
- Qualification to postgraduate masters or doctoral level.
- Previous experience in high level motorsport, ideally Formula One.
- Motion cueing algorithms. Motion perception models.
- Real-time systems and HIL simulators.
- Advanced control techniques.
- Practical experience with software libraries for non-linear optimisation.
- Machine learning, deep learning.
- Autonomous, self-driving racing cars.
- Simulator operations and systems (LiDAR data processing, graphics, projection hardware & software)
- Modelling experience of mechanical/hydraulic/thermal/electrical systems for dynamic simulations, and model correlation techniques.
- Development & use of tyre models for motorsport DIL simulators.
- SystemMonitor / TAG SECU.
- DYMOLA, SIMPACK.
- .NET C#, Python, VBA or other programming languages.
- JIRA, Git, Bitbucket.
Aston Martin Formula One Team is committed to attracting, recruiting and retaining the most talented individuals, regardless of age, disability, gender identity, gender expression, gender reassignment, marital or civil partnership status, pregnancy or maternity, race, religion, belief, sex or sexual orientation. We strive to be a Team that reflects all the communities with which we engage around the world through diversity in the workplace and promoting an inclusive culture in which all team members are respected, empowered and valued.