For many fans of Formula One, the sport exists between lights and chequered flag on a Sunday afternoon. It begins and ends with the exploits of the drivers on the track. But this is merely the tip of the spear. The reality of modern F1 is that of a complex and intertwined operation, every part of which needs to perform near its limit if success is to be achieved. From the pit crew searching for the ultimate repeatable pit stop, to the inspiration of the designers, the application of engineers and the herculean efforts of an army of fabricators and machinists. Much of our success is thanks to the diversity of thought and spectrum of skill sets held within the team, our ability to recognise unique contributions from individual team members is just a part of why we love what we do.
Red Bull Powertrains have an exciting opportunity to be a key part of our expanding Power Unit engineering team. Our open, dynamic environment ensures that everyone can make a valuable contribution. We are looking for a creative Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our Performance Design Team and deliver World Championship winning Power Units year on year.
Working from our brand -new purpose-built Milton Keynes factory, you will be integrated within the Performance Design Team of Red Bull Powertrains. You will be tasked with generating mechanical designs to maximise performance and learning on the single cylinder development engines. Your group will work closely with all teams within Red Bull Powertrains. To be successful you must lead the design, development, and failure investigations with absolute tenacity and creativity, to deliver maximum performance and flawless reliability, from concept to podium.
To fulfil this Senior Mechanical Design Engineer position, you will need:
- A Mechanical Engineering degree or equivalent qualification.
- Minimum of 5+ year experience in F1/Motorsport powertrain design and development.
- Experience of designing components for high-performance Internal Combustion Engines is a must.
- A high level of Mechanical Engineering competence in both technical and practical applications.
- A high level of CAD capability is one of the major packages.
- Technical drawing with GD&T of complex machined parts.
- A thorough understanding of engine thermodynamics and its contribution to on track performance.
- Proven history of successful fault investigation, containment, and rectification.
- Experience of clean sheet design from concept to track and a passion for creative innovation.
Expected knowledge for this Senior Mechanical Design Engineer role
- Proven track record of design for manufacture and design for assembly.
- Practical knowledge of stress, dynamic and thermal analysis.
- Practical experience of system and component durability prove out.
Key Attributes for this Senior Mechanical Design Engineer role
- Proven ability to inspire and motivate the Engineers around you to success.
- Ability to lead in a technically challenging environment.
- Can-do attitude and willingness to learn new skills is essential.
- Evidenced experience of complex decision making and strategic thinking when faced with imperfect data and challenging timelines.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to foster strong cross-departmental relationships.
Not only is this a fantastic Senior Mechanical Design Engineer role, it is also a fantastic team to work in. A good salary is just the start, there are many other benefits too such as our bonus scheme, private health care cover, life assurance scheme, company contributed pension scheme, on site gym & fitness classes, free food, and a cycle to work scheme.
Thu, 27 Oct 2022