No restraints. No limitations. We don’t simply push boundaries. We completely rethink them. McLaren Automotive exists to create breath-taking performance road cars.
With innovation at the core of all we do, every challenge starts with the same question. How can we do it better? This restless spirit runs right through McLaren Automotive. And the search for perfection is evident in everything we do.
Purpose of Role
As a member of the Electrical Systems team within McLaren Automotive, you will be part of a core design & development team focused on electrical systems for future McLaren sports cars. Covering multiple systems, the role will include the definition, development, and delivery of technology roadmaps (all the way through the engineering development lifecycle into production)The position requires a highly motivated and hands-on team player with exceptional attention to detail, diligence, and a positive attitude. The fast-paced development and bespoke target platforms provide a challenging environment suited to an engineer who can quickly develop skills in new areas and liaise with other engineering teams within a multidisciplinary environment. Our customers expect high standards, and we require staff capable of meeting such demands.
Below are some of the systems you could own as a Senior Body Electronics Engineer:
- Body Control
- Security Control, Alarm, Tracker
- Door Control
- Keys, Passive Entry, Passive Start
- Occupant Restraint Control
- Tire Pressure Monitoring
- Low Voltage Battery
- Park Assistance systems
- Powered Closures
- Domain Controllers
- Ethernet Switches
- Network ECUs
- Gateway Units
You will be responsible for:
- System and components specifications
- BoM management
- Validation planning (DVP)
- Test specifications
- Timing plan and project management
- Supplier management
- Interface on CAN/LIN or Ethernet
- Systems sign-off
- Attributes delivery
- Roadmap definition
For your systems, you will be responsible for delivering all required elements of the McLaren Development Process (MDP) to agreed gateway timings & cost. You will have multi system, multi vehicle responsibility and will help shape the vehicle electrical architecture.
As Senior Body Electronics Engineer, you will be responsible for the successful delivery of the following:
- Technical Specifications
- Design Failure Mode Analysis (DFMEA)
- Engineering Releases and Change Control Management
- Vehicle Bill of Materials (BoM) structuring
- Quality concern investigation and resolution
- Specific attribute targets are achieved
- Design validation plans are in place and executed to sign-off all systems
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- At least 5 years of experience of systems design & development, systems engineering & the engineering V-lifecycle within an OEM or tier 1
- Degree qualified in Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Computer Science or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Strong technical project management skills with proven evidence of decision making and accountability is essential. It is core to the success of our business that these primary roles have the required level of leadership and motivation to succeed
- Previous experience of OEM or tier one electronic system management utilising all the key attributes, with a demonstrable record of delivery.
- Supplier management, comfortable with understanding and implementing requirements within the project scope.
- Documentation of Technical Specifications, DFMEA, DVP, Timing Plans, Minutes and Actions of Meetings.
- Experience with Vector automotive products (or equivalent) e.g. CANoe, CANape, CANalyser, would be advantageous.
- Experience of the Systems Development Lifecycle (V Model).
- Ability to produce formal documentation to a professional standard.
- Organised, systematic and understand the process of fault finding.
- Ability to effectively manage time between multiple projects.
- Experience with systems of responsibility within body electronics systems
- Knowledge of CAN and CAN based tools.
- Experience and understanding of vehicle level system integration in terms of hardware and software
- Experience of systems testing of HMI-based systems
- Background in low volume, high performance sports or racing cars preferred
- Confident and can articulate in high pressure scenarios.
- Personable and can manage and exceed expectations of internal customers.
- Naturally technical. Able to employ fundamental engineering principles.
- Able to make sound judgements based on balance of risk when data is not available.
- Highly organised. Able to multi-task and prioritise.
- Willing to travel and work flexible hours when required.
- UK driving license