The McLaren name is synonymous with motorsport. The story across five decades of racing at the pinnacle of global motorsport is of restless technical development with characters of passion and true grit, all with a single-minded determination to succeed. The trophy cabinet at McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) tells a thousand stories of world champions, great drivers, constructor titles and of all those individuals who have stood on the sport’s global stage to make their invaluable contribution in making that difference: that extra thousandth of second off a lap time.
With a backdrop of continued growth and success, McLaren Automotive is now consolidating its motorsport strategy with specific aims; enriching the customer’s experience on and off track, broadening the McLaren brand appeal to a wider global audience and delivering motorsport experiences that are best in class. To make this possible, we are looking for a Senior Design Engineer to join our newly formed Engineering function.
Purpose of the role:
As a Senior Design Engineer within our Motorsport Engineering team, you will be responsible for delivering Mechanical and Body design solutions integrated with other systems to deliver the future vehicles of McLaren Motorsport participating in championships across the globe.
- Creation of innovative design solutions created with a right first time mentality and taking cost, weight and quality into account
- Coordinate design work to deliver timely design releases meeting all design for manufacture input from suppliers.
- Project ownership from conceptual phase through to track sign off
- Liaison with the wider Motorsport Engineering function and McLaren Automotive Engineering teams to understand system performance and development direction.
- Develop and nurture strong business relationships with internal and external teams with a view to delivering championship winning cars
- Supporting problem solving activities and help encourage a continuous improvement mentality across Motorsport Engineering
- Represent the department in design reviews and during test and development activities.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement and further development of CAD modelling and product definition techniques
- Actively supports information flow to the Head of Design Engineering in Automotive to transfer Motorsport technologies when applicable
- Support ad hoc requests in line with programme requirements.
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Expert knowledge of CATIA V5 is essential
- Good material knowledge, with emphasis on high performance and lightweight structural materials
- Comprehensive understanding of motorsport tolerances and interpreting championship regulations across the globe
- Experience of best drawing and modelling practises or methodologies
- Understanding of FE analysis technique to drive structural design and its optimization is essential
- Experience of CDM or VPM and DMU tools
- Strong passion for motorsport and willing to be challenged with the design of the most innovative structural materials and concept designs
- Desire and drive to deliver championship winning race cars across numerous global championships
- Team player and able to work closely with project and lead engineers as well as Suppliers
- Thrive under pressure and relish the prospect of a challenging and constantly evolving landscape
- Flexibility and adaptability are key to become a leading member of our team
- Good verbal and written communication skills
We recognise that we can only achieve our vision with the dedication and collaboration of our world class employees. It is our aim to become the employer of choice within the global automotive industry.
At McLaren Automotive we are constantly looking to improve. To become the employer of choice we are always looking to develop our employee offerings. We currently offer a range of benefits to employees at all levels of the business including Private Healthcare, Contributory Pension Scheme, Life Assurance and Personal Lease Car Scheme. We also offer a range of discounts with our partner organisations.