The McLaren name is synonymous with motorsport. The story across five decades of racing at the pinnacle of global motorsport is of restless technical development with characters of passion and true grit, all with a single-minded determination to succeed. The trophy cabinet at McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) tells a thousand stories of world champions, great drivers, constructor titles and of all those individuals who have stood on the sport’s global stage to make their invaluable contribution in making that difference: that extra thousandth of second off a lap time.
With a backdrop of continued growth and success, McLaren Automotive is now consolidating its motorsport strategy with specific aims; enriching the customer’s experience on and off track, broadening the McLaren brand appeal to a wider global audience and delivering motorsport experiences that are best in class.
As we begin this exciting journey we are looking for a Senior Data & Strategy Analysis Engineer to join our Motorsport Engineering function and help deliver our future championship winning GT cars.
Purpose of the role:
The Senior Data & Strategy Analysis Engineer will be responsible for managing tools / resources for the analysis and optimisation of the performance and race-strategy of the McLaren Motorsport vehicles on the track during tests and race events against targets.
Whilst we look for any advantage on track you will also be responsible for continually improving processes off it and supporting the development and delivery of the departments strategy and structure.
- Utilisation of proper combination of sims-tool outputs, data-analysis, performance-indicators, feedbacks from drivers & perfo-engineers during test/race events to meet programme targets
- Completing high level analysis & reporting for test and race events to fully support vehicle understanding and development in term of:
- Setup strategy analysis (mech & aero)
- Tyres behaviour, and usage / perfo analysis
- Test & Race results & strategy, analysis and optimisation
- Competition analysis
- Define attribute DVP and work in continual collaboration with Vehicle Development and the Vehicle Validation Coordinator to plan and ensure delivery of DVP activities.
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Proven experience of performance-engineering in GT and/or formula racing-cars or direct Automotive OEM experience.
- First-rate Mechanical / Automotive Engineering degree, with high knowledge and understanding in vehicle-dynamics.
- More specifically, the required skills and level knowledge for this role are:
- Test & race events in motorsport
- Knowledge of full vehicle, components and systems (function, goal, behavior, interactions) for optimizing the overall car’ performance on track and giving feedback to colleagues for further understanding & development
- Usage of Simulation tools and telemetry-data reader
- Testing measurements, data postprocessing and correlation to models
- Driver-in-the-loop testing management
- K&C and 7post testing and data post-pro
- “Can do” approach, “out-of-box” thinking, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to operate within a team environment (team spirit) are vital requirements to succeed in this role.
- Proactive collaboration with all other units in Motorsport & Automotive.
- Strong verbal and written and oral presentation skills together with ability to communicate at all levels.
- Delivery focused, with demonstrable track record of on-time delivery.
- Advanced problem solving abilities.
We recognise that we can only achieve our vision with the dedication and collaboration of our world class employees. It is our aim to become the employer of choice within the global automotive industry.
At McLaren Automotive we are constantly looking to improve. To become the employer of choice we are always looking to develop our employee offerings. We currently offer a range of benefits to employees at all levels of the business including Private Healthcare, Contributory Pension Scheme, Life Assurance and Personal Lease Car Scheme. We also offer a range of discounts with our partner organisations.