The Research Engineer will conduct a number of assigned research projects and she/he will be responsible for management of each allocated project from a technical, logistical and budgetary perspective. In order to conduct projects the Research Engineer will engage with stakeholders, internal and external to the FIA, as well as research providers and industrial partners & suppliers to ensure the successful delivery of project outcomes.
MISSIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee each research project from first feasibility study until the successful implementation in a race environment
- Manage the research service providers involved with each research project (i.e. testing facilities, laboratories, etc.)
- Conduct experimental test and simulation work as required to support the objectives of the research projects
- Collaborate with motorsport industry suppliers relevant to each research project for the purpose of research as well as support of delivery of projects to the race environment
- Assist with the drafting of technical standards, guidelines and regulations based on the results of the research activities
- Facilitate and support the Research Working Group and any associated meetings in order to provide the Safety Department with a scientific peer review capability for research projects and ultimately ensure the validity of the research work conducted at the FIA
- Support and contribute to the relevant FIA working groups and commissions
- Support the relevant Technical Working Groups as required to obtain input for each research project and align the project deliverables with the interests of the championship stakeholders
- Liaise with the FIA Technical Department and other groups within the FIA Safety Department to ensure the research work is translated into relevant & enforceable regulations
- Conduct detailed accident investigations as required and compile accident reports including robust conclusions and proposed actions to prevent similar cases in future or to reduce injury severity
- Bachelor or Master's Degree in Engineering or similar
- Automotive or Mechanical engineering educational background
- Knowledge of research techniques and tools commonly used in motor sport related research or development projects.
- Experience in design and operation of high level motorsport vehicles
- Must be able to demonstrate a practical understanding of complex technical concepts through the application of first principles engineering and scientific knowledge
- Problem solving with minimal supervision
- Ability to achieve tight timescales
- Structured and organized approach to work
- Team player with good collaboration skills
- IT Tools : Various motor sport data analysis packages (Wintax, Atlas, etc.), Microsoft Office, simulation or modeling experience advantageous.
- Languages: English - business fluent necessary and French - good knowledge advantageous