Position Summary: The R&D Technician-Exhaust Development provides mechanical support to Product Development in the installation of newly developed aFe exhaust applications. This position involves car/truck maintenance and repair, measurement, testing, fabrication/welding, prototype install and documentation support. The R&D Technician-Exhaust Development supports project leaders in their development duties. Projects involve developing new exhaust product applications from initial concept through production.
Essential Functions (other duties may be assigned):
- Provides automotive mechanical support to project leaders and design engineers on assigned projects.
- Completes assigned task lists and project assignments as directed by project leaders according to established schedules.
- Installs and troubleshoots fitment of exhaust products on vehicles; performs repairs & adjustments; troubleshoots mechanical and installation issues on a variety of makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.
- Performs vehicle tests on prototype exhaust products and documents results, including sound assessments.
- Performs market research online for assigned products to contribute to development process, and increase knowledge of current exhaust product design and innovation.
- Attends exhaust team meetings, provides updates on current projects and assignments.
- May visit vendor/supplier to deliver/pick-up vehicles, or parts.
- May run errands for shop supplies or customer requirements as needed.
- May generate or perform data entry, using Excel or approved company software, to update Bill of Materials (BOM).
- Adheres to all established safety procedures and wears applicable safety gear and PPE as required on the shop floor.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to collaborate on projects, and present data/information in front of team members and management.
- General Mechanic Certification or equivalent mechanical experience - experience in automotive repair, on various makes and models of cars and light duty trucks.
- Intermediate to advanced MIG welding, fabrication skills (cutting, grinding, bending).
- Ability to lift/move up to 50 lbs.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook) and communicate effectively using email.
- Knowledge and/or experience with diesel repair, a plus, but not required.
- Knowledge of and experience utilizing dynamometers a plus, but not required.
- Ability to read measurement tools and perform basic shop math.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma and min. 1 years related experience in manufacturing environment, or automotive shop environment, working on wide variety of vehicles.
- General Mechanic certification preferred, but not required.
- Excellent motor vehicle record (MVR) and valid California Driver’s License (required)
Physical Environment and Working Conditions: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, stand, walk, hear and speak. The employee is required to use fingers, hands and arms to operate computers, talk on the telephone, and may be required to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, squat, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee may be required to lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. This position works in a shop environment with moderate to loud noise and variations in temperature ranging from hot to cold.