The McLaren name is synonymous with motorsport. The story across five decades of racing at the pinnacle of global motorsport is of restless technical development with characters of passion and true grit, all with a single-minded determination to succeed. The trophy cabinet at McLaren Technology Centre (MTC) tells a thousand stories of world champions, great drivers, constructor titles and of all those individuals who have stood on the sport’s global stage to make their invaluable contribution in making that difference: that extra thousandth of second off a lap time.
McLaren has been equally pioneering in its no-compromise approach to roadcars which has seen the launch of the multi-award-winning three tier model range – Sports Series, Super Series and Ultimate Series – with Formula 1™-derived technology at the heart of each and every model. Back on track, McLaren has completed the circle of development. With the launch of the original 12C, followed by the 650S and, most recently, the 570S, McLaren has established itself on the international GT scene with GT3 and GT4 models competing – and winning – at the highest level.
With a backdrop of continued growth and success, McLaren Automotive is now looking for a Motorsport & Events Technician to join our Motorsport Operations team and ensure our track cars are maintained and run to the highest standard.
Purpose of the role:
As a Motorsport & Event Technician you will be working as part of a small team providing a crucial service for our McLaren Experiences and single make series events.
The Technician role will be responsible for conducting and completing the maintenance, repairs and running of P1 GTR’s, 570’s GT4 race cars and customer cars. The role will involve working across multiple functions such as car sub assemblies, individual car components and associated support equipment on site or whilst at events.
- Accountable for the build and preparation of any vehicle needed for a PURE Event or GT4 Championship Event
- Follow the approved Pure McLaren Experience vehicle preparation procedures and ensure that work is completed on schedule
- Ensure vehicles are fit for purpose and suitably presented
- Work with the wider Technician team to continually develop processes both at headquarters and whilst on events
- Responsible for the build and preparation of car support equipment
- Event set up support which may include event preparation garage builds and hospitality set up for all event programs
- Customer vehicle pre-drive inspections (Track safety inspections)
- Customer vehicle, basic onsite maintenance which may include brake disc and pad replacement, tyre replacement and diagnostic system checks and fault finding
- Wheel Torque checks, tyre pressure checks, vehicle valeting and fluid checks
- Technically communicate to customers and answer any service or specific technical questions as required
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Experience of delivering quality components to extremely tight and demanding deadlines with conflicting priorities
- Able to work in a highly technical engineering function
- Ability to interpret engineering specifications and drawings
- Ability to contribute to car component fault diagnosis process
- Evidence of a strong understanding of P1GTR or similar systems and components
- Previous experience of working in a motorsport environment
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Takes the opportunity to proactively use initiative where appropriate
- Highly self-motivated and able to motivate a team
- Team player who can support others whilst also getting involved in day to day tasks as necessary
- Able to lead by example and set expectations accordingly
- Good analytical skills and attention to detail
- Results focused and driven to achieve successful outcome
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively both in the UK and abroad
We recognise that we can only achieve our vision with the dedication and collaboration of our world class employees. It is our aim to become the employer of choice within the global automotive industry.
At McLaren Automotive we are constantly looking to improve. To become the employer of choice we are always looking to develop our employee offerings. We currently offer a range of benefits to employees at all levels of the business including Private Healthcare, Contributory Pension Scheme, Life Assurance and Personal Lease Car Scheme. We also offer a range of discounts with our partner organisations.