(2 years fixed term)
Purpose of the role:
We are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to design mechanical systems, assemblies and components for the wind tunnel facilities, wind tunnel model, the associated rigs and sometimes the race car. The work will be primarily mechanical design, including follow up work to oversee pre-fit, assembly, test and installation.
- The role sits in the Racing Technology group, which is responsible for our technology systems and sensors in the wind tunnel, on the race car and test rigs
- The role will involve close cooperation with the rest of the Racing Technology group (designers, systems engineers, software engineers and data analysts) as well as the model makers and model designers
- This role is factory based but may involve occasional travel to our wind tunnel and trackside operations i.e. travel and work outside UK
- This role is predominantly carried out during standard working hours, but will sometimes include additional hours and occasionally weekends
- Produce schemes for solutions to mechanical problems, improvements, development of the wind tunnel model, race car instrumentation, tunnel facilities etc.
- Detail design of parts and assemblies for Racing Technology design projects, which include systems for the scale wind tunnel model, wind tunnel systems, rigs etc.
- Design of jig and tooling components for manufacture, set up and testing of components
- Complete detail drawings that have all the required data for manufacture and / or model shop preparation (e.g. hole details / tolerancing / aero surface finish / part mark)
- Complete assembly drawings and associated set-up information which enable the model shop to prepare effectively and the tunnel to install and test efficiently
- Delivery of complete projects, fit for purpose and to the satisfaction of the Team Leader, model shop and wind tunnel management
- Work with the other participants in the process – manufacturing, purchasing, model shop, technicians, end users – to provide the necessary information and support throughout the delivery process and to ensure that the final product meets all requirements
- Clearly understand the departmental procedures (eg part nomenclature, assembly structure, part release, design best practise etc) and ensure these procedures are adhered to
- Maintain a good working knowledge of the wind tunnel model construction, its sub-systems, and those of the wind tunnel itself and associated rigs as required
- Answer feedback / faults from the wind tunnel and close out previous issues when designing upgrades to the model installation.
Knowledge, skills & Experience:
- Relevant engineering design experience using CATIA 3DX/V5 (part design, draughting, assembly design) within motorsport, automotive, aerospace or another mechanical / engineering industry
- Knowledge and application of GD&T (geometric tolerances)
- Knowledge of production techniques (machining, fabrication, casting, rapid prototyping)
- Experience using product management database management (VPM / 3DCOM)
- Degree in Mechanical / Automotive / Aeronautical engineering discipline
- Knowledge of mechatronics (electro-mechanical, control systems, mechanisms)
- Wind tunnel knowledge
- Associated CAD disciplines: Kinematics, FEA
- Creative and thoughtful approach to solving engineering and design challenges
- Well organised and able to allocate time effectively between numerous projects, meeting deadlines whilst also being flexible and responding to changing priorities
- Self motivated and resourceful; thorough worker with excellent attention to detail
- Team player with excellent communication skills