About The Job
The overall objective of the machine shop manager will be to provide leadership to the machine shop department teams, delegating and managing workload in order to achieve the required levels of quality and daily output. This includes management of the team leaders, including performance management, team development, and deputising in the absence of the Plant 1 Manager. The role will oversee the daily workings of machine shop operations. Plan, manage, and implement schedules to ensure deadlines are met, and maintains a high-quality standard of production and delivery.
- Manage the success of the machine shop departmental teams to meet and exceed both manufacturing’s and the business’ targets, including identifying and delivering meaningful cost reduction.
- Introduce, embed and manage problem-solving methodologies across the factory, whilst working closely with the Quality Manager and the manufacturing support office business improvement (MSO) team
- Introduce, embed and manage continuous improvement (CI) methods and opportunities across the factory.
- To engage with, support and where relevant manage the Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) process applicable to the machine shop.
- To develop and manage the machine shop KPI reports to support the organisation’s goals and strategy, including liaising with the Plant 1 Manager and senior Leadership Team to assist in the setting of operational and Capex budgets, and to operate within those budgets.
- Responsible for the production and planning of daily machine shop operations.
- Communicates with all stakeholders to ensure delivery times are met to Quality, the Quality team, the manufacturing support office business improvement team, the production engineering team and the supply planning team.
- Plan and review workload, ensuring manpower is effectively trained in delivering targets on a cost effect basis, and identify and recruit additional manpower as required.
- Manage shop floor consumable stock and introduce new and improved stock control processes.
- Ability to create schedule adherence processes to meet the supply planning demand.
- Communicate and adapt to any changes to the production demand.
- Monitor production Quality and standards.
- Provides guidance to employees on matters relating to Health and Safety.
- Managing team leaders including undertaking performance development reviews, performance issues and absence reviews.
- Deputies in the absence of the Plant 1 Manager.
- Provide the required performance & quality data and information to the Plant 1 Manager in order to furnish the company’s senior Leadership team with sufficient relevant information.
- Work as part of a close team with the other Plant 1 managers; namely the Inspection Manager, and the Heat Treatment Manager.
- Undertake personnel development and attend reviews as required.
- Observe Health & Safety rules always.
- Follow the company’s Quality procedures, leadership behaviours, standards and work instructions.
- Carry out reasonable duties as requested.
The successful candidate will be educated to degree level in an engineering related field. They will have proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development. Having project management experience is an essential skill as well as having visual management experience.
We are looking for an individual who has good knowledge of Microsoft Office, a good understanding of Engineering drawings, a good understanding of manufacturing principles, a good understanding of PFMEA or equivalent problem-solving techniques and have working knowledge of ERP Systems. Ideally you will have an understanding of transmission components and/or similar high-Quality high technology components however this is not essential. You will have a good understand of Lean Manufacturing Tools.
Production machine shop environment experience is essential for this position and ideally this will come from a motorsport, automotive or aerospace environment.
The successful individual must be action orientated, have strong communication skills. Be able to work precisely according to procedures, rules and regulations. Have good levels of integrity, confidence, independence and collaboration skills. You must have good organisational skills and a structured approach to problem solving and have the ability to work within a team environment.
Private Health Care
Eye Care Assistance
Cycle to Work Scheme