POSITION TITLE: Client Services Intern
DEPARTMENT: Premium Services
REPORTS TO: Director, Client Services
POSITION LOCATION: Indianapolis, IN
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
WORKER CATEGORY: Seasonal (Temporary)
DURATION: February – July 2021
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the worldwide leader in motorsports entertainment and the largest spectator sporting facility in the world. However, we are also about people. A talented staff with diverse skills that are used to the fullest in preparation to stage the world's greatest motor racing events. Employees at IMS are challenged daily to excel in an environment featuring a pace that matches the high speed of the machines that race at our famous facility. Working for us is a demanding, yet rewarding, endeavor for dedicated professionals who want to reach their ultimate potential amid the excitement, tradition and pageantry of the World’s Greatest Race Course.
The intern will work the full spectrum of Client Services responsibilities which includes but is not limited to: supporting hospitality, suites, clubs and contract fulfillment. The intern will work in the Client Services offices while preparing for events, on the grounds during events and may assist set-up crew with event day responsibilities. This position will be paired with a full-time member of the Client Services team with the intention of providing a dedicated mentor for duration of the internship.
- With the Director of Client Services and Client Services team, help provide support for all IMS activities. The intern will be paired with a Client Services Representative to work with throughout the duration of the internship while still be expected to assist all team members as needed.
- Develop and maintain outstanding working relationships with internal departments, corporate clients, sponsors, teams, general public and provide excellent customer service to all patrons of the Client Services office.
- Assist in the printing, packaging, shipping, and tracking of all hospitality, suite, vending/display, and client contractual elements.
- There may be opportunities to assist with onsite Special Events.
- Maintain daily general office duties. Respond and communicate daily to the Client Services email inbox and phone lines.
- Assisting with room set-up and tear down.
- Must have the ability to lift 50lbs.
- Expectation to be able to stand or walk for long periods of time.
- During event times, there will be exposure to the weather elements in our outdoor environment.
- Enthusiasm for and commitment to our company values. Own Results. Take Initiative. Value Diversity. Stay Resilient & Solution-Oriented. Act with Integrity. Speak Plainly. Build Relationships. Nurture Talent.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- This position does not have any supervisory responsibilities.
- Working towards a degree in Tourism & Convention Management, Event Management, Sports Management, Marking, Public Relations is preferred.
Skills / Experience
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a role that requires clerical and organizational skills, as well as initiative and flexibility.
- Previous office experience preferred.
- Advanced computer skills.
- Ability to work under pressure with time constraints.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Innovative thinker and self-starter.
- High integrity and confidentiality.
- Effective leadership and communication skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
Travel / Work Hours
- No travel.
- Schedule is flexible, taking into consideration class schedules. Required ability to work long hours, evenings, weekends & holidays during entire event season.
- Candidate must be able to work overtime as needed.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds
- Physical demands consist primarily of sitting, standing and walking.
- Must be able to see and hear in the normal range with or without correction and communicate verbally and in written form with great facility and must be able to be understood.
- Must have the stamina to work long hours and must be willing to work an irregular schedule, which may include weekends or evenings.
- Occasional work outdoors requires physical strength and stamina to endure extreme heat, cold, rain and other conditions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in both an office environment and outdoors.
- Interns will be exposed to those conditions normally encountered in a business office environment.
- Interns are faced with frequent interruptions and must meet with others on a regular basis.
- The noise level in the work environment can be loud, due to professional racing events.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. The Company complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities and/or events.