Position Summary: The Fabricator – Exhaust Development will fabricate and weld jigs and fixtures in support of R&D activities for automotive exhaust applications and prototypes, using various tools, materials and techniques to create, revise and/or repair new and existing exhaust application components and tooling.
Essential Roles & Responsibilities (other responsibilities may be assigned):
- Interprets design specification sheets, blueprints, or metric drawings as needed for assigned projects.
- Uses knowledge of all core welding/fabrications tools to weld, cut, trim or scarf metal objects to dimensions, as required for assigned projects.
- Accurately machines parts to required specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, grinders, and saws.
- Maintains the work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition and follow safety regulations
- Wears all required PPE in accordance with safety regulations and manufacturing standards.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work in a shop environment.
- General knowledge of fabrication, machining/welding equipment setup, process and maintenance.
- Working knowledge of fixturing and weld set up parameters.
- Familiarity of conventional and precision measuring instruments.
- Working knowledge of welding, fabrication and machining tools and equipment.
- Ability to perform standard shop math: add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Superior organization skills with a focus on accuracy and ability to complete projects to meet established deadlines.
- Clean Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) and current driver’s license.
- High school graduate or equivalent with minimum 1-3 years welding/fabrication experience with applicable certifications
- Automotive shop experience, desirable
Physical Environment and Working Conditions: The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is provided for this position, as is required by the job function. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand for long periods of time and is also required to occasionally, bend, kneel, stoop or squat and use fingers, hands and arms to operate manufacturing machinery controls, shop tools and/or computer and will frequently reach, grasp, pull and push with hands and arms. The employee will frequently lift and/or move exhaust development components weighing up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and depth perception for equipment operation, measurement and inspection, as well as peripheral vision. This position works in an indoor shop/warehouse environment with moderate noise exposure and variations in temperature ranging from hot – cold.