HCI Systems, a family owned company established in 2012, is one of the leading providers of high-quality electrical wiring solutions to the motorsport, including Formula One, and automotive arenas.
Based in Newport, Shropshire, the company has an enviable reputation based on high quality wiring harness design and manufacture for low voltage and electric vehicles as well as providing complimentary technologies such as power management systems, switch panels and bespoke electronics systems working to customer specifications.
Due to the continued success of the business both in established and new market places, HCI Systems are looking to recruit an Electronics Product Development & Electrical Design Engineer to become part of the team and further assist the company in its growth plans.
The key functions of the role:
· To design and develop, test and sign off for production Electronic products as required by our customers or the management team designing PCBs and writing software as required
· To create complex Electrical Wiring harness designs for LV / HV systems to the exact requirements from the customer meeting their cost targets.
· To own and coordinate all elements of product design from Electrical Wiring harness to Electronic systems with a focus on timely, cost effective and high quality products.
· To be accepted / respected as the “technical expert” within HCI and be responsible for any Electrical or Electronic queries either internal or external with customers / regulatory bodies
· Ownership of 2D and 3D CAD department and tools. Ensure implementation of design guidelines relating to the detailed design of complex wiring systems.
· Work with Manufacturing team to ensure designs are created to promote the most efficient manufacturing techniques
· Work with manufacturing team to promote ‘best practice’ and ‘lean manufacturing’
· Work with Programme Manager to produce quotation tenders against HCI or Customer supplied drawing packs working with relevant departments to define Material and Labour requirements for sign off by Engineering Manager
· Use business sector experience and contacts to identify new product gaps in market places, specify new product ideas, creating business cases for review and project sign off.
· Create HCI Branded electronic products, owning full project from Design, Prototype and Testing through to Production sign off
· Design parts to achieve quality and cost targets per part and drive sales with existing and potential customers
· Support and coordinate with the Programme and Logistics team by creating Bills of Materials for all designs and estimating labour times to ensure robust and competitive proposals are sent out
· Support continuous improvement activities such as Lean events, value stream mapping, root cause analysis and drives execution for affordability initiatives
· Support Prototype activities as required on car at customer sites or at HCI facility
· Drive functional excellence of team
· Work as part of the HCI Systems engineering team to share ideas and improve operation, recommending, supporting and implementing continuous improvement activities and process and procedure improvements to optimise results and improve quality of delivery, in line with quality standards requirements delivery in line with Company and Customer requirements
· Education / Experience / Attributes required:
· A minimum of 3 years in a similar technical environment, ideally motorsport / automotive / defence / marine
· Degree qualified in Electrical / Electronic Engineering or equivalent
. Ability to design Electronic Systems
· Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Ensure effective communication between all personnel in all departments
· Good personable interfacing with external customers both face to face and via phone / video
· Ability to read / create drawings and create Bills of materials for Prototype and First builds.
· Customer and quality focussed attitude
· Flexible working to allow tight deadlines to be achieved
· An understanding of Microsoft products such as excel and word
· Familiarity with MRP systems
· Ability to develop and improve manufacturing processes and methods.
· Experience in managing the build of complex Wiring Harnesses for Motorsport / Automotive and Defence to varying customer styles of designs
· Contacts in the motorsport, automotive, defence and aerospace industries
· Ability to design Electrical Wiring Harness Systems using Zuken E3 Series or equivalent
· Ability to work with design and diagnose CANbus systems
· Ability to use Solidworks
· Diagnose / Set up of Vehicle Electrical systems using ATLAS / BOSCH / MOTEC / PLEX / COSWORTH Software
· Lean Manufacturing / Six Sigma
APPLICANTS MUST BE ELIGIBLE TO WORK IN THE UK
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
To apply, please send your CV and covering letter stating salary expectations and why you would like to work for HCI Systems
Job Type: Full-time