Miller® is about building things that matter. We lead the welding industry in building advanced, solution-focused products and meeting crucial needs for welding safety and health.
We’re about the partnership and the work. Our products are designed with our users for manufacturing, fabrication, construction, aviation, motorsports, education, agriculture and marine applications.
Miller Electric Mfg. LLC, is headquartered in Appleton, Wisconsin, and wholly owned by Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW). The company maintains its industry leadership by setting the standard for reliability, quality and responsiveness. Our tagline, “The Power of Blue®,” is inspired by the blue color of Miller equipment.
The company began with an innovation that responded to customer needs, growing from a one-man operation in 1929, to the world’s largest manufacturer of arc welding products. Miller keeps the tradition alive by focusing on its top priority: people.
The Commercial Solutions Division is looking for a highly motivated individual for the position of Electrical Engineer focused on continuous improvement of our welding and plasma cutting products. This position requires a highly motivated individual with exceptional communication and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with engineering, operations/manufacturing, customer support, and marketing team members to efficiently support our products.
- Collaborate with Quality, Operations, Materials, and Engineering team members to drive improvement of key process indicators (metrics) such as manufacturing line failure, warranty, and scrap rates.
- Work closely with other Engineering team members, Manufacturing/Operations, Product Management, Customer Service, Suppliers, and our end users to improve current products and assure customer satisfaction.
- Lead life cycle support efforts such as end of life analysis, alternative component identification & qualification, and associated redesign activities.
- Problem solve through the application of troubleshooting techniques, testing, and as necessary redesign.
- Update product and process documentation as necessary to ensure effective and efficient assembly processes.
- Support supplier quality initiatives through continuous improvement efforts and as necessary root cause analysis.
- As assigned, collaborate with Manufacturing Engineering and NPD teams to ensure production and supplier readiness with new product launches.
- Work proactively with New Product Development Engineering to mitigate warranty risk associated with new product designs.
- Support divisional and category sourcing teams in identifying and implementing cost savings initiatives.
- Other duties as assigned by manager.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering with at least 2 years of power electronics experience
- Good understanding of various power supply topologies
- Experience with power semiconductor selection and testing
- Experience in mixed-signal embedded hardware design including signal conditioning for high-speed/precision signals in a power conversion setting, signaling across multiple insulation boundaries, and gate driver power supplies
- Knowledge of PCBA manufacturing process
- This individual must be a self-starter and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Candidate must be a team player with a positive attitude
Additional qualifications a plus:
- Magnetics design experience including flyback, forward, and full bridge transformers as well as inductors.
- Working knowledge of power conversion control systems
- Experience with 230/460/575 VAC multi KW power conversion
- Proficient with circuit modeling/simulation tools
- Knowledge of PCB layout considerations for switch mode power supplies
- Experience designing & testing to 3rd party (UL/CSA/CE) standards
- Working knowledge of microcontrollers and ability to understand the C programming language
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.