About The Job
Reporting to the head of R&D the role of Chief Metallurgist will have the overall objective of managing the metallurgy function within the R&D Group and providing technical support to design, manufacturing and purchasing. The responsibilities for the role include:
- To create a functional strategy for the development of materials and heat treatment techniques within Xtrac.
- To provide a facility and environment to undertake material investigation and support the heat treatment function of Xtrac.
- To liaise with functional heads and ensure consistent analysis methodology is applied within the Engineering group.
- To ensure heat treatment knowledge, techniques and operational standards are maintained in liaison with the Heat Treatment Manager.
- To ensure all heat treatment operators understand and adopt safe working practises of furnaces.
- To manage material specifications via the materials handbook and integrate within Xtrac’s design, manufacture and purchasing systems.
- Undertake material research, testing, investigation and failure analysis (condition assessments).
- To undertake material first article inspection reports.
- To manage direct staff and contribute to Senior Engineer forums, reviews and development.
- To attend meetings and reviews and make representation for the analysis and integrity of Xtrac’s products.
- To ensure that component requirements are achieved by use of the correct tools, analysis techniques, gauging, factors of safety, methodology and competence.
- To ensure failure investigations/condition assessments are conducted and reported thereby providing preventive actions.
- To provide mentoring and performance reviews to staff within Metallurgy.
- Investigate and advise corrective action for in-house and subcontract queries and non-conformance.
- Ensure all NDT processes are fully technically supported and documents reviewed and updated.
- Administer and liaise with the materials supplier’s development programmes.
- To observe health and safety rules at all times
- To follow company quality procedures, standards and work instructions
- To carry out reasonable duties as requested by Management
You will have a minimum of BEng or BSc (or equivalent) in a materials, metallurgical or engineering discipline. You will have at least five years experience within a metallurgical / heat treatment environment and ideally experience of NDT techniques such as Nital Etch and magnetic particle inspection along with experience of managing technical staff.
Ideally you will have knowledge of heat treatment techniques particularly carburising on ferrous metals and an understanding of gear or bearing steels, however, this is not a must.
The successful candidate will be required to have excellent IT skills and a knowledge of Word, Excel. You must be a strong communicator across a multi skilled organisation, as well as being organised and have a structured approach to problem solving. It is essential to be prepared to teach and assist in knowledge transfer.