Project Lead for the engineering of brake products which delight the customer, maximize profit and strengthen Alcon’s position in the Motorsport sector.
• To manage new motorsport projects from enquiry stage through to delivery of first parts.
• To create and manage overall project timing plans by working with sales, production control, engineering and logistics departments.
• To be the customer liaison as required during the project phase.
• To create product costings at concept phase and monitor/manage product costings through the entire project.
• To work with the Chief Engineer and Sales to develop robust project proposals through the feasibility and concept stages of the project. These studies will include brake system calculations to define the product suited to the application, product and project costing through liaison with purchasing, production engineering and operations and generation of the technical proposal. To the end of Gateway 1.
• To work closely with the Chief Engineer - Motorsport and key customers, to develop and apply product designs that meet market requirements and give Alcon a performance edge over its competition.
• To develop new product concepts as required when existing products do not suit the needs of an application. Evolve these concepts to a point of handover with the Design Engineer. Working with the Design Engineer during the detailed design phase to ensure the features of the concept are maintained.
• To take responsibility for resolving customer issues with current product so that real world utilization of Alcon braking components can be fully understood and these lessons applied to new product at the point of specification.
• To attend and support customer vehicle tests involving new product as required.
• To work with manufacturing and production engineering to ensure the required balance between product performance and manufacturability, for new concepts, is achieved.
• Working with the Quality team, to provide technical input to the establishment of quality standards and processes and giving engineering support on quality matters as required.
• To work with the Chief Engineer to define suitable materials and coatings for a given product and application.
• To work with the Chief Engineer to define appropriate test requirements for new product.
• To provide track/event support for customers using Alcon product.
Qualifications and Personal Characteristics
• HNC/HND in mechanical or manufacturing engineering
• Minimum of 5 years experience as an Engineer in the automotive environment.
• Knowledge complex CNC machined components from billet.
• Understanding of automotive applications and other aspects of vehicle design
• Sufficiently commercially aware to recognize the impact of his actions on the bottom line
• A high degree of self-motivation and ability to work under pressure when necessary
• A team player with a ‘can-do’ attitude, who can work at speed to achieve tight deadlines
• Eloquent and outgoing, able to build strong relationships with suppliers and customer engineers and liaise on technical matters with other departments
• Has the level of commitment to ‘go the extra mile’ when required
• Ability to supervise work of other department members when necessary
• Degree in mechanical, automotive or manufacturing engineering
• Experience of automotive brakes/chassis engineering/development
• Solidworks 3D CAD experience
• Drawing creation within Solidworks
• Hands on design experience of brake and actuation components
• Experience of working within the Automotive industry and IT systems
• Working knowledge of D-FMEA, P-FMEA, DVP&R & APQP