Experienced Mechanical Technicians wanted to help create exceptional scaled down classic cars at The Little Car Company either as permanent team member or open to contractors.
Compensation: Competitive Salary based on experience + share options + bonus scheme
Location: The Little Car Company Headquarters, Bicester Heritage
Holiday: 25 days per year, option to take 1 month off unpaid per year after 1 year service
Share options scheme: After 6 months with us - we want everyone to feel ‘ownership’ of the company
Start date: Immediate
Report to: Production Manager
C-19 friendly process: We'll likely do the majority of initial interviews by video call, but will look to meet candidates in person before the final decision is made.
The Little Car Company
As it says in the name, we make little cars. But they're more than a little bit special.
The Little Car Company makes officially branded drivable little cars for luxury high-end motor manufacturers. They are 75% scale, 100% electric and 200% fun tributes to classic cars: boasting swappable batteries, a sliding pedal box, regenerative braking and different driving modes. We’re already making cars for Bugatti, Aston Martin and Ferrari plus there are more to follow.
Beautifully engineered vehicles don't just appear at our client's front doors - they are a result of months and sometimes years of meticulous design, dedicated craftsmanship, uncompromising testing and a personal customer experience second to none.
That doesn't happen without an exceptionally talented team fuelled by a determination to create truly remarkable vehicles, whilst having a ton of fun along the way. We work with the best car manufacturers in the business, so are only looking to recruit amazing talent to our small but highly functioning team. We are committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our workforce, and eliminating unlawful discrimination. We aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best.
We are building something special, an environment where everyone looks forward to their Monday mornings (our CEO Ben literally bounds out of bed each morning) and everyone in the company knows the difference they are making and can see how much value they are adding every day.
It helps that our products are pretty awesome too, meaning you get to answer the quintessentially British ‘So what do you do?’ question with ‘I’m part of this cool little company that makes scaled down, fully electric classic cars’.
We need an enthusiastic and experienced whole vehicle technician to help assemble our production cars and assist with the development the next generation of our little prototypes. An integral role within the business you will be responsible for the assembly and sub assembly of our cars and components, across Chassis, Electrical, Powertrain, Body and Safety systems producing first class quality and attention to detail. We’re a fast moving start up, and a ‘can do’ attitude is essential. You’ll report directly into the Production Manager who co-ordinates the day to day workshop and assembly activities.
The day-to-day responsibilities:
- Assembly of Production cars, including sub assembly of components for stock and to aid the Production process
- Working with the wider project team to keep production on schedule, having an overall view of the assembly status of whole vehicles.
- You will be building some of the most iconic cars in history at reduced scale with an electric powertrain.
- Creation and maintenance of assembly process and sequencing
- Adhere to Build & Compliance Documentation
- Completion of Assembly & Inspection records
- Responsibility for the Quality of the work produced and carried out.
- Continually looking for opportunities to develop and make build process better, safer, more efficient.
- Assemble and support the build and testing of prototype vehicles.
- Preparation and Inspection of Fleet & Demonstration vehicles.
- Maintain a clean, professional, and safe working environment
- Provide training and support to members of the wider production team
What you bring to the table:
- Experience of ‘craftsmanship’ assembly methods where final fit and appearance is the responsibility of the operator
- A background in niche, low volume or motorsport engineering with a broad understanding of vehicle systems.
- High level of attention to detail and a focus on safety and quality.
- Ability to root cause vehicle issues from faulty vehicle, through structured strip down and analysis, to component level root cause and feedback
- A strong understanding of manufacturing and assembly processes and their appropriate selection.
- Able to understand and interpret detailed component and assembly drawings.
- Strong problem solving and lateral thinking skills.
- A hands-on approach. Comfortable in the design office as well as in the workshop.
- Team Player. Working coherently with other team members to deliver to the highest standards
- Enthusiastic & passionate about what you do and our products - Striving to go the extra mile.
Nice to have:
- Motorsport experience
- Fabrication skills – that include component manufacture and welding steel & aluminium (MIG & TIG)
- An interest in and knowledge of electric systems.
- Ability to read wiring diagrams and harness drawings
- Knowledge of working with composite materials and correct technique for cutting/bonding composite materials
- Comfortable working in a structured environment, but where you have plenty of autonomy we expect everyone to be high-performing and self-managing. It’s an entrepreneurial environment which keeps things interesting but isn’t for everyone!
- Switched on and can take the initiative, you don't need to be told what to do all the time. We want people who look for problems and solve them without being asked.
- Self-motivating – you’ll have full support along the way, but we won’t hold your hand throughout.
- Ability to use Excel / PowerPoint / Outlook. Experience in Slack is useful, but not critical
…and lots more. Being a start-up, we’d expect whoever assumes the role to have adaptability, flexibility and can-do attitude.
Details / perks
- Full time in at The Little Car Company’s brand-new HQ at Bicester Heritage, the UK’s first automotive campus. It is a stunning place for any car enthusiast to be based.
- There may be occasional travel with the company as required, potentially nationally / internationally.
- A full UK driving licence is essential
- Competitive salary and 25 days holiday a year
- Opportunity for equity ownership / stock options and compensation will increase as we grow – ultimately you are in control of your destiny and the rewards will be there for the right people
Our Products in the News
Please provide a cover letter / email with a brief description of your background, relevant experience and what makes you different from everyone else. In approximately 400 words or less please - consider this your highlight reel to entice us to open your CV.
Should you not hear from us by the end of the job posting period, it is likely you have been unsuccessful on this occasion - we will however, keep all CVs on file for future roles as we grow.