Purpose of the Role:
The role of Model Technician covers a wide range of tasks, focussing on driving the ever-growing technical aspects of the Model Maker role while operating WT and model systems.
Primary tasks will involve the manufacture of model components using a variety of mediums and processes. In addition to this, handling and operation of the electronic systems of the wind tunnel model in the preparation room or WT test section, assembly of pressure rakes and instrumented assemblies, including some work with data acquisition tools. Direct involvement in wind tunnel model builds and model installations to WT facilities.
- Ensure high quality and manufacture of model parts, with on time delivery in full.
- Model installation and setup in wind tunnel and preparation room environments.
- Basic level of in house data acquisition.
- Work efficiently within the Model Shop and Racing Technology as part of an established team.
- To attend appropriate planning meetings as required.
- Training of other staff.
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment and ensure Health and Safety procedures are followed at all times.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
The ideal person for this role must have an open approach to learn new systems and adapt to varying requirements for ever changing technical aspects of the wind tunnel, model and racing environment. However, continuous training on new and existing systems will ensure all aspects are covered to provide confidence and enable the candidate to deliver to expected standards.
- Extensive experience in carrying out model changes within the Wind Tunnel.
- Preparation or repair of electric wiring.
- Understanding of pressure systems across aerodynamic research platforms.
- Developing working relationships that promote faster delivery of parts and increase morale between shifts.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Catia for part interrogation and build
- PC literate to enable use of wind tunnel, model and department systems and controls
- Methodical approach and target driven.
- Able to promote ‘best practice’ working standards.
- Flexibility in responding to critical deadlines.
- Self-motivated with high levels of initiative and communication skills.
- Flexible in working hours including additional hours when required and travel.
This job description may not detail some less major duties allocated to the post holder, nor cover duties of a similar nature, commensurate with the role, which may from time to time be reasonably required by the relevant manager.