We made our name by building winning competition cars but we've grown far beyond the race track. Our capabilities include complete ground-up design, build and manufacturing commissions from one-off concept cars to low volume production road cars. All of this takes place at our facility in Wellingborough where you get to see the projects come to life. Our social media pages will give you an idea of some of the things we get involved in and these are just the ones we can talk about!
With so many exciting projects on the go, we are looking to expand our team and have a vacancy for a Senior Powertrain Mechanical Engineer to design and develop Powertrain systems, assemblies, and components to ensure specified performance criteria and deadlines are met. This is a hands on role and the successful applicant will be capable of working autonomously in producing, releasing and physically validating designs.
The main responsibilities of this role include:
- Mechanical design and development of one or more Powertrain systems within project constraints of time, cost and quality.
- To be an effective member of the Powertrain team and focusing on delivering safe, reliable right first time designs.
- Produce designs and drawings in line with industry standards and BS8888.
- To understand applicable regulatory requirements and standards and ensure designs are compliant.
- Liaise closely with the electrical & Vehicle engineering teams to ensure the design is optimised at a vehicle level.
- Write Design Specifications for Powertrain Systems to develop safe, reliable, cost effective, legal and competitive solutions.
- To carry out calculations as required to ensure safe, reliable operation while meeting the specified design performance criteria.
- Analysis and report of design integrity (Tolerance stacks, Clearance checks, hand stress calculations etc.)
- Consider issues of Design for Manufacturability, Assembly & Test.
- To coordinate with Production, Purchasing and Project teams to ensure effective planning and supplier selection.
- Support the mechanical testing of Powertrain systems using both in-house and external facilities ensuring appropriate testing procedures, risk assessments and reports are written and/or in place.
- Effectively liaise with the necessary departments to identify test requirements, priorities and work schedule for RML’s powertrains.
In terms of experience, we need you to have:
- Upper Degree Level in Mechanical engineering
- Proven experience as a Mechanical engineer in automotive or motorsport applications as part of an OEM, Tier 1, or consultancy.
- Experience with Powertrain design, predominantly ICE, but some HV experience would be advantageous.
- Able to conduct hand calculations to support design
- Proficient in use of a high level CAD package (Catia / NX)
- Ability to produce engineering drawings to a high standard
- Competent in understanding and applying GD&T
- Experience in the principles and application of DFMEA
- Ability to conduct Linear Structural & Modal FEA Analysis on components
Our benefits include:
- 25 days holiday, plus Bank Holidays
- On-site gym
- Employee assistance and wellbeing programme
- Private healthcare
- Company pension scheme
- Discount car scheme
- Company sick pay scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Death in service cover
- Hybrid Working Opportunities
We are committed to ensuring our employees feel respected and able to give their best. Our aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers. If you have the skills and experience we are looking for then we would love to hear from you. What are you waiting for? Apply now!