Join the newest successful Formula One team! At Haas F1 Team, we are looking to grow our team and have an exciting position available in our Engineering department. This is an opportunity for experienced and team-oriented individuals to make a substantial impact within a small, fast-paced team.
We are a young, dynamic, and expanding team that is building an open, discursive environment full of opportunities for motivated individuals pursing a challenge. Haas F1 Team is designed to allow the best and brightest talent to excel within the premier form of racing in the world. The team debuted in the FIA Formula One World Championship in 2016, becoming the first American-led Formula One team since 1986. Founded by industrialist Gene Haas, the team is based in Kannapolis, North Carolina, USA, with team operations in Banbury, UK and Parma, Italy. Now in our fourth season, we have proven to be competitive with our uniquely-designed team that has quickly demonstrated a desire to win!
This position reports to the Chief Race & Test Engineer or his designee; is located in Banbury, UK. Responsible for all performance and data analysis aspects of the car’s operation at race and test events, including but not limited to car performance optimisation through simulation, telemetry data analysis, and ensuring that a car is set-up to the required specification
- Promote teamwork and effective communications to develop working relationships between all personnel and departments.
- Perform lap time simulation work for pre-event preparation, analysis during events and post event correlation / analysis.
- Suggest setup changes and options based on simulation and/or track data analysis
- Manage set-up sheets / files for both car build and simulation purposes
- Monitor telemetry data from both reliability and performance point of view
- Assist preparation of simulator sessions in terms of car set-up specifications. Support simulator sessions from Banbury and/or run simulator sessions in Italy, if required.
- Develop necessary data analysis tool to aid the performance analysis (Matlab/ Simulink/ Excel VBA etc)
- Manage overlays for driver during/ post session.
- Suggest development directions based on the data analysis
- Publish post-event performance report
- Follow all safety regulations in all venues.
- Assumes any responsibilities and duties delegated by the Chief Race & Test Engineer or his designee.
Education and Work Experience:
- Engineering degree
- Minimum 3 years of experience as a trackside engineer, preferably in Formula-1, either as a Race or Performance Engineer
- Experience in other Formulas would be beneficial
Specialized Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
- Strong technical background in racing car performance/ vehicle dynamics.
- Strong technical background in car/ system design/ operation/ build/ preparation.
- Work to a consistently high standard in stressful and time sensitive situations.
- Able to prioritise the work load and able to manage your time efficiently.
- Work well in a team environment with personnel at all levels.
Equipment and Applications:
- Excellent knowledge of ATLAS
- Experience of MATLAB/Simulink
- Good understanding of lap time simulation tools and simulator environments
Work Environment Physical Demands:
An ability to work and prioritize within a high pressure, time sensitive environment while retaining a methodical approach is essential. The role will require extensive international travel and a willingness to work long and flexible hours including weekends.
This position may require lifting to 50 pounds, repeated bending, squatting and manual dexterity. Fast-paced work environment requiring heavy mental demands. Work environment includes machinery, race cars, 7-post and other rigs, grinding debris, and hazardous fluids. All employees must ensure compliance with the Company Health and Safety Policy, and all relevant other statutory Health and Safety legislation.