At Formula 1 our vision is to unleash the greatest racing spectacle on the planet. Our key to success is an organisation that values passion, integrity and respect.
To help deliver against this global vision we are seeking a Technician. Your work will be split between the Event Technical Centre at the race circuits, and our Media & Technical Centre in Biggin Hill. Whilst working at the events you will work as part of a team required to commission and maintain the fibre optic network and its related equipment for the transfer of video/data/audio/comms during an event.
Reporting into the Track Systems Manager, we are looking for an individual who is able to communicate clearly and remain calm under pressure.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Optically testing, inspecting and commissioning the CCR fibre optic ring at F1 events using optical test equipment and end-face cleaning procedures.
- As the fibre optic service provider, you will assist in supporting, configuring and monitoring the system for the broadcast, IT, and communications network.
- First hand support for track side systems including: Track cameras, FIA marshalling, Telemetry, data acquisition and timing as well as paddock systems and F1 team integration.
- Support and liaise with other departments/customers, to fault-find problems or provide solutions to requests as they arise.
- Required to ensure the upkeep of equipment list/manifests and liaise with freight department, order new consumables and technical products when requested.
- Undertaking race event preparatory work and be able to liaise with F1 departments to ensure CCR race planning is completed in adequate time.
- Able to provide support to test, service and terminate single/multimode fibre using a variety of connectors.
- Familiarity in general wiring practices and termination of data/power cables when required.
- Able to operate safely at all times in line with company health and safety requirements.
For further information please view Additional Information.
You’re self-driven, curious, hardworking and you thrive in a team. You face problems as challenges. You are analytical, a good communicator and remain calm under pressure. You enjoy both the theoretical side of engineering as well as being hands on and getting stuck in. You enjoy frequent travel and would relish the opportunity to work long but rewarding hours at F1 racing circuits around the world.
- A qualification in a physical science or engineering discipline or equivalent vocational training in a relevant industrial environment
- A good understanding of working and terminating fibre optic systems
- An understanding of TCP/IP Ethernet networks
- Proven experience and understanding of technical wiring diagrams
- Ability and knowhow on best practice fault finding skills
- The willingness to work long, unsociable hours both in the UK and overseas
- Strong communication skills
- MS Windows literate particularly in Word, and Excel
- Ability to think on your feet – an efficient problem-solver
- Ability to create strong relationships with other colleagues
- Capable of performing the rig and de-rig duties as required for a team member
- Ability to work effectively and meet deadlines in a busy, fast-paced environment
- Can travel frequently to perform an operational role at international circuits for occasionally over two weeks at a time
- EU driving licence and willingness to drive abroad
- Practical experience in using 2D AutoCAD software
- Previous experience in a systems broadcasting technical role.
- Experience of installation, wiring, configuring and troubleshooting of technical systems.
As a united team we achieve great things together. Are you ready to unleash your potential at F1?